Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 6 days old and he spits up a lot. He also sounds like he's refluxing (spitting up in his throat but nothing comes out) a lot. He doesn't projectile vomit or have any of the more obvious signs of a refluxy baby--he sleeps and eats well although tends to be fussy when he's awake. How can I tell if he's got reflux? I do have a lot of milk although I'm not engorged anymore and he does spit up less if he doesn't eat very much (like if he's half asleep when he nurses).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had two babies who are supposedly reflux babies. Unfortunately the Dr's just diagnosed by sound of symptoms - no testing and I am afraid I unecessarily medicated our middle son.

Our middle son I believe had reflux. Very fussy and spit up quite a bit. We gave him the prescribed Zantac, which frankly didn't improve things much for him. We struggled for months and finally found out that Zantac with Mylicon gas drops seemed to help. We did that for a while, but found when we gave him nothing - he seemed the same.

Our youngest son was also diagnosed as reflux because he spit up and wasn't gaining weight fast enough to make the Dr's happy. They ordered me to feed him every three hours start to start around the clock, give him Zantac and stop consuming dairy and beef.

Too much all at once, and the mommy in me screamed NO to the medicine. I just eliminated dairy from my diet and fed him every three hours during waking hours and made sure he ate at least once in the middle of the night.

He began gaining weight just fine, and the Dr's were never wise to the fact that he didn't have his Zantac. He was going for weekly weigh ins, and if he hadn't started gaining on his own I would have started him on the prescription. As it was he spit up less and had a reaction to milk and beef. Much better for him and for me (I hated giving my screaming baby that medicine with our middle son)

IMO Dr's over medicate sometimes because it's easy for them. Try eliminating from your diet first and see if his symptoms improve. If they don't then take him into the Dr. Nobody here is a Dr, but if he's not losing weight or in obvious distress - then I'd try the elimination from your diet route first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.