Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started on Thur with terrible achiness and general malaise. On Fri my throat started to get a little sore, the achiness was still there and more intensified and I started running fevers that were topping out below 101. Sat the achiness had lessened, but I had a fever that topped out over 102. My throat really started to hurt and I had trouble just swallowing. I had Dh look at my throat and he said he saw 2 white spots on one tonsil and 1 on the other. I woke up today with a fever just below 101. My ears are clogged. My throat kills, swallowing is a chore. The achiness is pretty much gone, thank God.

I have been gargling with salt water and using my neti pot. After gargling and using my neti pot I get some yellow mucus out, but not much at all. Otherwise nothing is coming out of my nose and I am not coughing. Something seems to be touching the back of my tongue...could that be swollen tonsils?

I hate taking abx, especially since I am nursing, but if I have strep I think I should get some.

So, does this sound like strep?

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I had it for the first time last year, then I got it twice

I woke up one morning having cold like symptoms. Aching body, stuffy nose, headache type stuff. Not really a sore throat. By that afternoon I had a fever of 103. I swear I only made it through the day on adrenaline- I am a teacher and my coworker wasn't there so I had to get through it somehow. By the time someone came in to relieve me, and I realized I had a fever, I drove straight to the doctor. I was too sick to even drive home. Someone had to come get me. It took that much of a toll on my body.

I didn't see any spots in my throat personally, so I can't help on that aspect.

I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am actually going in to see a doc this afternoon. I know it is the lazy way out, but there is no way I could get to the store to get the different things listed in those articles. I have 3 kids to take care of and a dh who is unable to take any time off. My temp is on the rise again and it is a chore just to keep myself hydrated to keep my supply up. I can barely swallow
I feel like I will be sick until my head simply explodes which is what it feels like it is trying to do

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I just had (well, still have) a cold with an extremely bad sore throat/tonsillitis. I thought it was strep - tonsils hugely swollen, white spots/pus, red blisters, but I had a negative rapid strep and culture. So now my throat is feeling better, I still have the ear pressure, and now I have nasal congestion/sneezing. So there is definitely a nasty virus going around.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I had strep a couple months ago, I have never been so ill in my entire life, pertussis and H1N1 had nothing on that strep! I thought I had the flu, got very ill very suddenly, high fevers, extreme fatigue, vertigo, slight sore throat, every bone in my body hurt, my ears hurt, chills, one night I started hallucinating. I started feeling better after a couple days, the break lasted a day and then I started getting a bad sore throat, and some of the other symptoms started coming back. I broke down and went to the doc, strep. I took the abx, first ones I had taken in almost 15 years, and I have a bfing baby as well, but it was such a relief to feel better. I hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the rapid culture hadn't come back when I left, but he said I had all the classic signs of strep. I also show signs of ear infection and sinus infection, so he put me on amoxicilin (sp?). Normally I wouldn't be happy with this but I have been so very sick for so long with no end in sight. I haven't felt any better, in fact I feel worse. This has been going on since Thur and the fever since Fri. I am completely unable to function. So, hopefully he is right and I start to get better in the next day or so.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Depending on how high your dosage is, you could feel better by morning. If it is a low dose, it might take 4 doses to get some relief.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He actually told me that he doubled the dose. It is the middle of the night and I am up eating some yogurt since I haven't eaten in so long and all I have on my stomach is Tylenol, motrin and the abx. I hope you are right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.