Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Does undigested food mean there's a possibility that you are sensitive to that particular food? I know that undigested food doesn't always mean you are sensitive to that food, but would it make sense to remove that food and see what happens? Or is it just as likely that it's a different food?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ds sometimes has lots of undigested food in his poop, and I've noticed it's the same few foods a lot of the time. Whole peas are a big one, and whole raisins, probably every time he eats them- and not just a few, but lots. Also bits of carrots, corn (which I know is really common), small pieces of watermelon, and teeny orange pieces. Yesterday he had whole white beans, whole black beans, and bits of carrot in his diaper, which was sort of wierd because there was also corn and cabbage in the soup (and he ate everything), and not a trace of either of those in his diaper.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it were you, would you suspect any of those foods as being a problem? I've also noticed sort of a pattern between his poop being mushy and full of undigested food, and his sleep being poor and/or being awake for a couple hours in the middle of the night.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I posted this in my "about Jonah" thread, but perhaps it's lost in there. I need to know whether to focus on these foods or not!</p>

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
<p>No. Those are all really typical foods to pass undigested. It usually just means they're not really chewing them, just swallowing a lot. The orange one was something my son did a LOT of. He did get diaper irritation after eating citrus, so we kept him away from it until he was past 2 and the sensitivity was lessened. </p>

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I have to disagree with the pp. If your babe doesn't have teeth yet, then yes- totally normal. But there's no reason that food (other than like corn kernel skin and raisin skin) to go through the entire digestive track and still be easily recognizable. It could be a sensitivity, or it could just be a lack of the particular type of digestive enzyme that digests that food.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
<p>It could totally be normal depending on his age and how well he chewed, but my daughter who has lots of food intolerances did that with grapes and it took maybe an hour at most for them to come out the other end once she ate them and her skin burned as they came out.</p>

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Ok, so it could mean something. He has 8 front teeth and 4 molars. I think he chews fairly well most of the time, but bviously not all the time- some foods come out looking exactly like they went in. I suppose we'll take out those foods soon- it probably won't hurt- he's not getting nutrition from them anyways. And I definitely need to get a zinc supp for him very soon- I just read that somebody said that zinc deficiency caused excessive mouthing for her dc. Ds seems to mouth things much more than what I think is normal.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts