Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could using antibiotics for GBS lead to higher need for vitamin k shot? My DH and I are planning on circumcising our baby, if it's a boy, for religious reasons on the eighth day, and we were considering not having the vitamin K shot, as I have read (for example, here: http://cybermintz.com:9080/why8th.html) that the eighth day is the day when the baby has the most vitamin K he will ever have. So we plan to wait until the eighth day for his circumcision and the natural buildup of vitamin K in his system. We would prefer the option of oral vitamin K and are willing to accept the responsibility of administering it if it is needed.

My concern, though, is that I have tested positive for GBS and the midwives want me to have the antibiotics to kill off any GBS germs, but would that make it more likely that we'd actually need the shot, i.e., the usage of antibiotics for my GBS positive treatment would prevent colonization of the baby's system with the bacteria that make vitamin K?

*Please contact me by PM ASAP.* I've created an addendum for my birth plan to include waiving the shot and the drops and I want to make sure that if the baby's a boy using the antibiotics for GBS treatment won't lead to the need for the vitamin K shot.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsTani View Post
I have read (for example, here: http://cybermintz.com:9080/why8th.html) that the eighth day is the day when the baby has the most vitamin K he will ever have.
No, that's not quite correct. Around day 7-8 is when the baby's body can begin to synthesize it's own vitamin K at normal levels, it is certainly not the time when he will have the most, or even necessarily a lot, just what may be considered "adequate".

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
No, that's not quite correct. Around day 7-8 is when the baby's body can begin to synthesize it's own vitamin K at normal levels, it is certainly not the time when he will have the most, or even necessarily a lot, just what may be considered "adequate".
Would it be safe to circumcise my son on the eighth day without the vitamin K shot if I have the GBS antibiotics?

· Registered
2,066 Posts
if you are going to circumcise i would think the benefits of the vit K shot would outweigh any risks. excessive bleeding is a very real risk of circumcision.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
Sorry I didn't address the antibiotics in the post, I sent you a PM like you requested.

I think the antibiotics are a risk. We don't know a whole lot about it, but based on what we do know I would recommend vitamin K after the antibiotics anytime. I certainly wouldn't take that risk and throw surgery on there to boot.

· Registered
5,511 Posts
I do feel like I have researched vitamin K a great deal and yes antibiotic exposure will effect vitamin K but more than just changing flora it also has some not well understood liver effects which interfere with vitamin K--
over all there is a general recommendation for supplemental vitamin K for newborns, especially breastfed newborns -- in more recent studies intestinal flora is not thought to provide as much vitamin k as it did in the past- (most of this is due to better lab methods) -- additionally maternal diets (which is the main source of vitamin K for breastfed infants) are not even meeting mom's needs for vitamin K intake- and the current standards are going to increase- so instead of most moms getting only 1/2 the rda- they will be getting 1/3 or so.

the reports on HDN and LHDN include breastfed infants who are exposed to antibiotics even as late as 4 months old--
in any case here is a quote snipped from an article discussing vitamin K supplementation even in adults approaching procedures--
"Therapy with vitamin K may be a useful option in patients with increased prothrombin time due to vitamin K deficiency; in patients with malnutrition; in patients using antibiotics; and in patients with cholestatic liver disease, particularly prior to invasive procedures."

regardless of your choice to supplement or not supplement your infant I recommend you evaluate your diet and get more than an adequate daily amount of vitamin K for yourself and your baby---

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.