Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I am the only one (well, me and dh)
When I do 100s my neck always hurts, and throughout the workout, I am so confused by the moves that I can't really get into it. I had a good instructor, so that wasn't the problem.
I love yoga.
Anyone else, or am I just a freak?

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
well, i would say first that if you had neck pain (or any pain for that matter) while doing any of the movements, then you were doing them incorrectly. in a class scenario (with multiple students) it's hard for instructors to help you achieve appropriate form, particularly if they're demonstrating (doing it) with you.

so, i'm sorry about that.

and for me, i'm not a fan of pilates. i can see the benefits of pilates and i value what joseph pilates did. But, much of pilates is taken from yoga (for example, the 'core' maintaining business is straight from yoga--mula and uddiyana bandha--and Joe stated as much.
) and for me, the yoga movements are more comprehensive (physically, energeticly, and spiritually) than the pilates movements.

Also, yoga has the whole mind-body-spirit--that whole spirit connection--for which i find it really valuable. Granted, any form of movement can make this connection, but asanas (postures) were designed for it.

so, i don't practice pilates. i support those who do--it is a good fitness regime--but my heart really lies with yoga.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the neck thinggoes, I have been shown how to do it, and it still hurts. Maybe I am doing it incorrectly, but that is the way my body goes, and so trying to do it correctly while in themiddle ofthese crunchy things is one more reason that it doesnt work for me.
And yes, the lack of spiritual connection. I find the meditation to be a real reward at the end of yoga, and really miss it with pilates

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMomNicole
I don't like Pilates or Yoga. I just get bored. I know no one is supposed to admit that, but I just keep thinking I'd rather run. Or just about anything else.
Yaaa! I wan to like Pilates, but it hates me!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boysrus
I love yoga.
Anyone else, or am I just a freak?
Nope, I prefer yoga-for me, I'd rather stick with the source. I find yoga to be much more integrative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.