Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurs to me that by only using 2 coupons, I've paid for the price (and a little over!) of the Sunday paper. I've thought about buying multiple copies of the paper just for the coupons, but I feel kind of silly, plus I hate to buy it just to recycle most of it. Does anyone buy multiple copies for the coupons? How many copies do you typically purchase?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 2 sunday papers delivered. If there are any coupons I don't use, they get donated to Soldier's Angels. It's worth it to me to pay the extra $2 a week to have that many valuable coupons!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I don't even buy the Sunday paper.
We don't purchase or use most products in the paper's coupons. I receive a free mailed coupon booklet of organic/healthy foods and we use those at the local health food store.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I don't even buy the Sunday paper.
We don't purchase or use most products in the paper's coupons. I receive a free mailed coupon booklet of organic/healthy foods and we use those at the local health food store.
Where do you sign up for the coupon booklet? Is it valid at Henry's?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have on the weeks where there are lots of coupon inserts, like Jan 3 of this year. Our local Dollar Store and Menards sell Sunday Chicago Tribunes for $1, so its a pretty good deal.

However, I don't think I will again. Even though I was able to get some good deals with the extra coupons, having that many inserts to manage was overwhelming.

Plus, one of my coworkers delivers newspapers as a side job, so if I really needed extra inserts she could score a bunch for me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I do. Usually buy 4 papers / week. Extras go in the worm bin or as layers in the garden, get used for crafts (3 yr old who loves to use scissors!),

- We often have sales around here though , that are a certain price when you buy 4 or 5 of an item. (Not the usual 10/$10 where 1 is also $1 - it's buy 5 and get $5 off type of thing). So we'd miss all those deals if I only had one paper.

But w/ the extra copies I almost always have 80% off my total bill - if I don't buy produce. Which I usually buy most of our produce at the farmer's market...but if I need something when I do our regular shopping I'll grab it there. Or if I don't make it to the farmer's market.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Where do you sign up for the coupon booklet? Is it valid at Henry's?
Yes, the coupons are good at Henry's. The cashiers are always amazed.

I don't know how I started receiving the coupon booklet in the mail. At the moment, the name of the booklet is escaping me (on the tip of my tongue, though). I *think* it is somehow associated with Ralphs, but I don't recall why I got that impression. I don't have a booklet right now to look....

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I kept thinking of Sprouts, as in the Henry's offshoot out in El Cajon, so I googled 'healthy food coupons' and found the coupon booklet name. It is Mambo Sprouts. I've been receiving this for years, long before coupons on the web became popular.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I kept thinking of Sprouts, as in the Henry's offshoot out in El Cajon, so I googled 'healthy food coupons' and found the coupon booklet name. It is Mambo Sprouts. I've been receiving this for years, long before coupons on the web became popular. Nowadays, I think you sign up online and may or may not have the option to receive them via the mail.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I only get one copy. If I'm looking to stockpile something or there's a really good sale w/coupon I usually order more coupons from a clipping service.

And Mambo Sprouts is great! Our local food coop carries it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I used to hit my neighbors recycling bins on Tuesday's and gather a bunch of extras. I will sometimes buy coupons on eBay. I've bought additional copies of the paper from time to time, but it is rare.

However, I just moved... recylcing bins won't work anymore, so will have to consider this movign forward. Right now I'd be thrilled if they delivered the paper were I could find it.... have to call the office again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I sometimes buy more than one copy, but if I want many multiples of a coupon, I just buy that coupon from a service or ebay.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I only buy one copy of the Sunday paper, but then will go and buy 10-20 copies of a single coupon for an item I really want to stockpile (oatmeal, tomato sauce and sour cream were some recent ones). I buy the extras from www.thecouponclippers.com or off ebay (just search for "Brand XYZ coupons" - i.e. Quaker coupons).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
I only buy one copy of the Sunday paper, but then will go and buy 10-20 copies of a single coupon for an item I really want to stockpile (oatmeal, tomato sauce and sour cream were some recent ones). I buy the extras from www.thecouponclippers.com or off ebay (just search for "Brand XYZ coupons" - i.e. Quaker coupons).
I do the same thing. If I find a coupon for something I use a ton of I get extras on ebay or from a clipping service. Every once in a while if there are a bunch of good coupons I'll go pick up another copy of the paper, but that rarely happens.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I usually buy 2. There seem to be enough $X/2 deals lately, that I just have defaulted to 2. My friend owns a coffee shop around here though, perhaps I'll have to ask her if she can collect the inserts for me instead of throwing them away when people buy the paper...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belia View Post
Even though I was able to get some good deals with the extra coupons, having that many inserts to manage was overwhelming.
I'm in chicago too and the Trib is so danged big, I feel guilty buying an extra, considering I never read the one that is delivered.
Plus I never know which weeks will have 3 good coupon inserts or be one skimpy one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.