Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stbx and I go to court tomorrow morning to finalize the divorce. My lawyer told me that it's "just a formality" because all the papers are filed and everything is uncontested.<br><br>
I have this irrational fear that the judge is going to grill us about how we're handling custody/visitation of dd and will tell us we're doing a shitty job of it and refuse to grant the divorce. (I know, paranoid.)<br><br>
So, how do these things normally work? Do you just have to prove your identity and that's it? I hate having no idea what to expect.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Usually the uncontested cases go first, so you'll probably be out of the courthouse in no time. Most judges are quite happy to see uncontested cases. For our uncontested temporary orders the judge asked each of us (me, ex, our individual attorneys) if we agreed on the terms of the order. We each responded yes, then she signed it. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we're set for 9, so my lawyer said we should be out by 9:30.<br><br>
Thanks for sharing your experience, that's exactly what I needed to hear. We put in the agreement that dd is to be raised vegan, so I hope it doesn't raise any eyebrows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts