Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of doubt anyone pro-vax is still here on these forums, but just in case there are some, I wanted to start a general thread for all things COVID-19 vaccine related.

Have you received the vaccine yet? Do you plan to? What was your experience if you have?

I've received both my doses and (spoiler alert!) I'm great! I am finally starting to feel like there is a light at the end of this tunnel. After my first dose, I experienced a sore arm for a couple of days and that was it. After my second, I had mild flu-like symptoms (muscle aches, chills) that lasted less than 24 hours and then was back to 100% normal. No effects since. My husband's experience was essentially the same as mine.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are already some very promising data coming out of Israel where over half the population has received at least one Pfizer dose and close to 30% have received both.

The Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech appears to be highly effective in limiting the spread of the virus, according to reported data from Israel, in a development that could alter the course of the pandemic.
A study conducted by Pfizer and the Israeli Health Ministry shows that the vaccine is 89.4 per cent effective at preventing infections, whether symptomatic or not.

Among those admitted to hospital in a severe or critical condition during the study, 4.4 per cent had received both shots and 5.7 per cent of those who died from the disease were fully vaccinated.

Overall, the vaccine was 93 per cent effective in preventing hospitalisation and death.
During the observation period of the study, the UK variant - known as B117 - was found in 81.5 per cent of Covid-19 test samples, pointing to its high prevalence in Israel.

Separately, Israel’s health ministry said on Saturday that the risk of becoming ill with coronavirus falls by 95.8 per cent after a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
The vaccine is also 98 per cent effective in preventing breathing problems or a fever, the ministry added.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also:

An Israeli healthcare provider that has vaccinated half a million people with both doses of the Pfizer vaccine says that only 544 people — or 0.1% — have been subsequently diagnosed with the coronavirus, there have been four severe cases, and no people have died.
That means the effectiveness rate stands at 93 percent, Maccabi Healthcare Services announced on Thursday, after comparing its immunized members to a “diverse” control group of unvaccinated members.

“This data unequivocally proves that the vaccine is very effective and we have no doubt that it has saved the lives of many Israelis,” said senior Maccabi official Dr. Miri Mizrahi Reuveni after the new data release.
She stressed that among those who have vaccinated and become infected, the vast majority have experienced the coronavirus lightly. Out of the 523,000 fully vaccinated people, 544 were infected with COVID-19, of whom 15 needed hospitalization: Eight are in mild condition, three in moderate condition, and four in severe condition.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After Merck's COVID-vaccine failed, this is a nice development.

Biden to announce ‘historic partnership’: Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, officials say

President Biden will announce Tuesday that pharmaceutical giant Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot coronavirus vaccine — an unusual pact between fierce competitors that could sharply boost the supply of the newly authorized vaccine, according to senior administration officials.

Under the arrangement, Merck will dedicate two facilities in the United States to Johnson & Johnson’s shots. One will provide “fill-finish” services, the last stage of the production process during which the vaccine substance is placed in vials and packaged for distribution. The other will make the vaccine, and has the potential to vastly increase supply, perhaps even doubling what Johnson & Johnson could make on its own, the officials said.

“It’s a historic partnership,” said one of the officials, adding that the companies “recognize this is a wartime effort.” He praised their sense of “corporate citizenship.”

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more positive news. I expect that number to drop even more as the vaccine likely becomes necessary for travel and employment.

Amount of people hesitant to get Covid-19 vaccine dropping rapidly

Recent polling suggests a continued drop in the vaccine hesitant population as more and more people get vaccinated in the US.
The past two weeks alone, there were two polls that show just how much vaccine hesitancy has declined. The Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that 55% of adults say they now want a Covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible or have already received their first dose. That's up from 47% in January and 34% in December.

While the percentage of hardline "get it only if required" or "definitely not" has remained fairly consistent at or just north of 20%, the hesitant population of "wait and see how it's working" has dropped by nearly half during the last two months from 39% to 22%.

Axios/Ipsos polling shows a similar trendline. A mere 13% of adults said in September they would get a Covid-19 vaccine as soon as it was made available to them. That jumped to 27% in early December to 43% in early January. Now, 57% say they have already received the vaccine or will get it as soon as possible.

Like in the Kaiser polling, the hardline vaccine resistant population (i.e. people who say they will not get the vaccine or will only get it if forced) is basically the same size now (18%) as it was in September (23%) and early January (19%).

More people who say they will wait a period of time (a few weeks to a year or more) to get the vaccine has decreased rapidly: 64% in September, 51% in early December, 38% in early January and 28% now.

The good news is that the declining percentage of those in the middle (i.e. the vaccine hesitant) is what we would expect as more and more people are safely vaccinated. Even before the FDA approved the vaccines, I pointed out that a big driver of vaccine hesitancy was that people wanted to know the vaccine was safe and effective.

It's still the case that willingness to get the vaccine is correlated with vaccine knowledge and knowing people who have gotten the vaccine.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Queen and other members of the Royal family have also received their COVID vaccine and are encouraging others to do the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I kind of doubt anyone pro-vax is still here on these forums, but just in case there are some, I wanted to start a general thread for all things COVID-19 vaccine related.

Have you received the vaccine yet? Do you plan to? What was your experience if you have?

I've received both my doses and (spoiler alert!) I'm great! I am finally starting to feel like there is a light at the end of this tunnel. After my first dose, I experienced a sore arm for a couple of days and that was it. After my second, I had mild flu-like symptoms (muscle aches, chills) that lasted less than 24 hours and then was back to 100% normal. No effects since. My husband's experience was essentially the same as mine.

Anyone else?
I'm trying to get my grandparents theirs... I'm planning on trying to go as their caretaker because I've heard that was an option?? Idk, but I'm very glad it's finally here and even tho I've had my doubts, none of them will actually keep me from getting the vax to keep me and my family safe. I do think mandatory vax should never become a thing, but thats because most ppl want to do the best thing for their family any ways, so if that's getting it then great if not great. It's usually a decision made with good reason. Now with all this political nonsense thrown in, I hope that doesn't cause anyone to decide the fate of themselves or their child based on a political affiliation. But then again, it's America. This country was made on the grounds that our choice was not the same as Mother Britain's and they wanted to force us anyways. So then, of course, we fought for our right! Ok that's enough from me! Thanks for posting some positivity about vaccination. Everyone ought to hear both ways being talked about.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am still around but definitely less than I was. My kids are older (9 and 6 now) so I don't spend as much time on parenting forums in general. I have not yet gotten a vax because I am lowest priority. I am 41 and healthy so I don't even become eligible until April 5. I have already registered and I will get a vax as soon as I am able. My husband works in mental health and justice and got his moderna vaccine back in January. He didn't have any side effects to speak of (I refuse to count a sore arm, that isn't a side effect they give it intra-muscularly it is going to hurt).

My parents have already received theirs and so have my in laws. None of them had any serious side effects. My mom had a bad headache but that is common for her in general so not too surprising.

I am probably different than many pro-vax people because I am not on board with all the social distancing guidelines and am concerned with getting things back to normal, not a new normal. I also am not very concerned about children and I hope my kids get to go back to normal school without major distancing and masks before they get their vaccines (which probably won't be until second quarter 2022 with their ages) and I will not support 2 years of disrupted education.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still around but definitely less than I was. My kids are older (9 and 6 now) so I don't spend as much time on parenting forums in general. I have not yet gotten a vax because I am lowest priority. I am 41 and healthy so I don't even become eligible until April 5. I have already registered and I will get a vax as soon as I am able. My husband works in mental health and justice and got his moderna vaccine back in January. He didn't have any side effects to speak of (I refuse to count a sore arm, that isn't a side effect they give it intra-muscularly it is going to hurt).

My parents have already received theirs and so have my in laws. None of them had any serious side effects. My mom had a bad headache but that is common for her in general so not too surprising.

I am probably different than many pro-vax people because I am not on board with all the social distancing guidelines and am concerned with getting things back to normal, not a new normal. I also am not very concerned about children and I hope my kids get to go back to normal school without major distancing and masks before they get their vaccines (which probably won't be until second quarter 2022 with their ages) and I will not support 2 years of disrupted education.
Good to see you again! My mom is hopefully receiving her vaccine next week and is very excited. My dad had COVID over the summer and still has some fatigue and cannot smell or taste but I think wants to wait until the worst of the vaccine craze is over before getting it. Most of my aunts/uncles have received their vaccine and none have had any serious side effects other than some fatigue and such that was short-lived. My MIL got her second dose last month and did not have any side effects.

I think we are all hoping schools will be back to normal soon. It's been a rough year.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hello! Yeah, I’m not around much lately. The whole vaccine conversation could be really interesting right now, but I’m not sure I’m in a great mental place for engaging with vaccine skepticism at this particular moment in history.

I’m a few weeks past my 2nd Pfizer dose, and all I had was a very sore arm for a couple of days. I’m still masking, social distancing in public, etc., but I’m very excited that enough of my family and friends have gotten/will get vaccinated that we will start having some more normal interactions. Fingers crossed for a sustained decrease in infections.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe this will push men to get vaccinated? Yikes. 6-fold increase in developing erectile dysfunction if they contract COVID.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts