Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For posting stories about media shut-downs of voices raising concerns.
CENSORED: National Vaccine Information Center | Sharyl Attkisson
After maintaining a Facebook page since 2008, on Mar. 2, 2021, the 39-year old National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) was de-platformed by Facebook, a social media and networking service established in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg and other Harvard graduates. After sponsoring the Fifth International Public Conference on Vaccination: Protecting Health and Autonomy in the 21st Century online in the fall of 2020, NVIC began receiving multiple warnings from Facebook that NVIC’s page “violated community standards.”

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, both of my examples are from Facebook. Facebook: A Worthy Judge of Medical Info?
This isn't technically censorship, but it is an effective method for shutting down interest in a valid opinion piece.
Over the past few months, Facebook has used third-party fact-checkers to decide which COVID-19 news stories and op-eds are false or misleading. Recently, one determined that a Wall Street Journal opinion article by Marty Makary, MD, MPH, Johns Hopkins professor and editor-in-chief at MedPage Today, was misleading. Specifically, "Three scientists analysed the article and estimate its overall scientific credibility to be very low," according to HealthFeedback.org, Facebook's checker in this instance.
Read the rest of the article to find out who these 3 scientists are and how they were chosen to do the analysis and judgement.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone said they got banned for 3 days from Facebook for posting this outrageous meme.

I don't agree with the meme, but it is a good example of opinions that should not be censored. IMO.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
It is the way of the world right now and not related only to vaccines. It is not good. I hope this level of censorship is a short lived historical blip.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the way of the world right now and not related only to vaccines. It is not good. I hope this level of censorship is a short lived historical blip.
I doubt it. Free exchanges of information interfere with profits and large corporations are structured to put profits ahead of all else.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
FB has gone totally out of control, and too high on its own horse for its own good...however, that seems to be the ''Murikan way -- cease and desist all info that conflicts with your agenda. Free speech be damned.

·
Registered
I have two kids
3 Posts
Someone said they got banned for 3 days from Facebook for posting this outrageous meme.
View attachment 129681
I don't agree with the meme, but it is a good example of opinions that should not be censored. IMO.
Facebook clearly has problems with censorship. Probably this person was banned by a robot and not by a moderator. I don't see anything wrong with this meme, it's just the opposite point of view without any calls to action.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Facebook clearly has problems with censorship. Probably this person was banned by a robot and not by a moderator. I don't see anything wrong with this meme, it's just the opposite point of view without any calls to action.
Somehow having robots doing the censorship is even worse. I studied some Russian history in college and looked at the life of a censor for the Czar. Even though censorship is wrong, having real human beings making decisions means that there is someone to take responsibility. Programming robots adds distance...

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An article that is SCREAMING for censorship. 12 prominent people opposed to vaccines are responsible for two-thirds of anti-vaccine content online: report

They've been dubbed the "Disinformation Dozen": 12 individuals or organizations are tied to up to 65 percent of anti-vaccine content circulating on major social media networking sites, according to an analysis of popular anti-vaccine content on Facebook and Twitter.

“Disinformation has become a direct threat to public health,” said Imran Ahmed, CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH), which released the report in partnership with the Anti-Vax Watch, in a release. “In the midst of a global pandemic, the Anti-Vaccine Industry has executed a targeted campaign to mislead Americans about the safety of the COVID-19 vaccines. Social media is enabling anti-vaxxers to recruit millions of Americans and indoctrinate them with fear and doubt. If Big Tech companies don’t act now, the pandemic will be prolonged, and more lives will be lost.”
Speaking of "Digital Hate" this article smells very much like hate to me.

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Miscovitz, Big Tree, and Joshua are not on that list. Wakefield is not either. They are leaving lots of people out.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Miscovitz, Big Tree, and Joshua are not on that list. Wakefield is not either. They are leaving lots of people out.
So they can't even get their story straight. Sloppy.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Wow, how did they miss mentioning Dr. Andrew Wakefield? :rolleyes:

Almost every article discussing vaccine hesitancy and/or ' anti-vaxxers' drone on about Dr. Andrew Wakefield's 'research' that was purported to be debunked. It actually wasn't research, it was a dozen case studies.

Here is more anti 'antivaxxer' propaganda:

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Irony attack this morning. I get a morning brief from the NY Times. They had an article about the struggles in Russia for political freedom.
This month the Russian government said it was slowing access to Twitter. Why does that matter?​

Putin built his image and his power by controlling TV — that has always been his biggest weapon — but the internet remains essentially free in Russia. This is an experiment to see what Putin can do to squash those remaining freedoms that Russians have.​
But the NY Times has never criticized the censorship of medical and political critics in the US. At least not that I've noticed. If someone can find an example of such criticism I'll be very happy to see it. I don't know if I can share this article. Let's see. The Morning: Navalny vs. Putin

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And now Twitter censors a leading epidemiologist. A pro-vaccine person. But he said that not everyone needs the vaccine. Twitter Censors Famed Epidemiologist Martin Kulldorff

It would appear that with this latest act of censorship – we are not talking about political extremism or anything else that violates normal terms of use – we have entered into a new realm. Twitter is now curating the scientific debate in ways that exclude alternative points of view, particularly those that raise doubts about the need for universalized vaccines and vaccine passports. To be sure, Dr. Kulldorff is not an anti-vaxxer (why should I have to say that?) but instead has a nuanced position in light of his professional understanding of the demographics of risk of this virus.

If there ever was a troubling sign of the power and arrogance of big tech, of which I’ve long been a defender, this new action is it. Dr. Kulldorff has been a brave proponent of traditional public health in the midst of an unprecedented and very obviously failed policy of lockdowns. He has been a voice of clarity, reason, calm, and science. That Twitter would choose to use its power over public debate to silence his insights should be of profound concern to everyone concerned about the use of science in the public interest.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the other hand, the censorship of the Wuhan Lab leak seems to be getting leaky (sorry). Theory That COVID Came From A Chinese Lab Takes On New Life In Wake Of WHO Report
Jamie Metzl, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, has been an outspoken proponent of such an investigation.
"I'm not saying that I am certain that COVID-19 stems from an accidental lab leak, but it would be absolutely irresponsible and could only be politically motivated to say that it's not even worth having a full investigation," he said.
A State Department fact sheet from mid-January highlights reports of sick lab researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology in the fall of 2019, notes the dangerous type of coronavirus research the lab was conducting, and says there was also secret military activity at the lab.
China has refuted the claims. Critics of the WHO report, like Metzl, say the expert team that visited the lab took their Chinese interlocutors at their word and didn't dig. Metzl said that's insufficient.
"If in the middle of the worst pandemic in a century, China wants to tell the rest of the world, 'screw you, it's not even worth investigating', that's on them. But we shouldn't give them a free pass," he said.

Reactions: Hyacinthe

·
Registered
269 Posts
On the other hand, the censorship of the Wuhan Lab leak seems to be getting leaky (sorry). Theory That COVID Came From A Chinese Lab Takes On New Life In Wake Of WHO Report
If NPR is reporting it, it must be moving from crazy conspiracy theory into the mainstream. Plus, this is what the Biden administration has said about the WHO's report calling the lab leak theory "extremely unlikely":
“We’ve got real concerns about the methodology and the process that went into that report, including the fact that the government in Beijing apparently helped to write it,” Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken said in a CNN interview broadcast this past Sunday.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another organization is being censored by Facebook, so now they have two different versions of their newsletter. Organics, Regeneration, COVID-19 | Organic Consumers Association
The edition for our email subscribers is uncensored, while the edition we post on Facebook and other social media must have certain content omitted.

You can get the uncensored version of Organic Bytes (including back issues) if you are on our email subscriber list or by going directly to the homepage on our website.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts