Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and DD is 19 months. She is due for her CP vax, but I do not want her to get it. I can fill out a religious exemption form (we are having some issues with her daycare about this) but if I do that then I will have issues with getting the vaccines I want her to have. Our state only allows for medical and religious exemptions. I had CP when I was 6 months and 3-4 years and then I had shingles when I was 20. Does anyone know if this is enough for her to get a temporary medical exemption for the vax? I know that shingles during pregnancy is not safe and I feel that by exposing her to the virus (wild or in vaccine form) is not safe for me or the baby at this time.  When the baby is born we will be moving so I will deal with the new state's regulations when the time comes. I have a checkup with my MW next week and I will be bringing this up. Any help with information would be appreciated.</p>

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>Shingles comes from the dormant virus already in your body which can reemerge due to a weakened immune system. Natural exposure acts as a booster, reducing the likelihood that you would develop shingles.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You'd have to check on the criteria for a medical exemption in your state; in some states it is as simple as the child's doctor signing off on it.</p>
<p> </p>
<h3 class="r"><span class="tl"><a class="l" href="http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-topic-overview" target="_blank"><em>Shingles</em> (Herpes Zoster) ...</a></span></h3>

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>I can't remember where I read before (off several sites) but being near someone who is contagious with CP can "active" shingles and cause an outbreak. Now I'm not finding the information I had before. I wish I would have saved the links.  Also, DD's pedi has told me that if she gets CP then I'm at risk for shingles. However he told me this as a way to push the vax on her and he didn't know I am pregnant. Is there a way to link this to the vaccine also? I know the CDC says 1 in 25 (I think this is the number) gets a rash from the vaccine and that can be contagious.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: Maybe the information I had before was wrong.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts