Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,496 Posts
:::ahem:::
I am gonna share so listen up, I do not do this very often

Synthrapol is a must, if it is not n the "kit" you will have bleeding. Use HOT water in your soda ask soak this helps open the fabric up to accept the dye.
I soak mine in a bucket, wear gloves always when handling the soda ash and wringing them out.......shoot just leave them on LOL
After soak......wring out and wrap
Soak the garmet with color. you may think it is saturated, chances are it is not, open it up a liitle and peek, get in the cracks.
I put my finished dyes in plastic storage bags with a twisty (yes I wash and recycle these
I also recycle my soda water)
I leave them for 24 to 48 hrs. Rinse till water runs clear. Wash on cold with synthrapol, rinse, add soda ash, rinse. Then a HOT wash and another for prefolds!
I wanna see pictures ladies......

· Registered
3,496 Posts
Ok.........I was afraid of this.
Sandra Dee....I am so sorry. This is why I do not promote the kits at the craft stores. Tye Dying prefolds is not what that "kit" was intended for you to do with the supplies they had picked out for you. They had assumed that people were going to use these "kits" for t-shirts and such. Not something that needed to be Wetfast YKWIM?
I would not or do not reccommend any kit that you can buy. It is kind of like buying gerber prefolds when there are UBCPFs

To do it right will take lots of practice, the right chemicals, and more than $10.00
If you are doing T-shirts, bandanas, crafts with the kids, yeah get a kit. Have fun.....
For something to remain wet, it must be treated to do so. The synthrapol is the "key" to this.
Sandra Dee....did you watch them when you washed them? Was the water clear? Did you have anything in your kit for colorfasting? grrrrrrr These kits make me so mad. I used every one on the market.
As far as vat dying goes, I do not like the "waste factor" in the vat dying instructions I have read, so I made up my own. Treat the item the same as stated above only do not wrap the design. Get your gloves on (this one gets MESSY) put them item in a platic bag and cover it, turn, coat, turn, coat. Untill uniform color is reached. It wastes no dye and it is ready to sit. Unless you are doing 10 to 20 in the same colors the vat dying instructions are void to me.
And PS forget the ones about "dying in your washer"
Been there done that
:

· Registered
3,496 Posts
I put mine on the dryer.....then dry away. They look like they have lived in a greenhouse and they are warm, warm, warm.
They do work better warm, I forgot to add where I set them. Thanks Carrieanne

I think between the 2 of us we covered it all.
Sandra Dee I feel so sorry for you about your SOS. I know how nice the hemp ones are. I have one and I treat it like the queen of the diapers

But as I state with new tye dye care...care for these like you would care for a new red T-shirt. They should not bleed, but you know what it is like to wind up with pink socks.
I wash my tye dyes seperate. I keep my tye dye prefolds in a seperate wet bag, just in case. I have never ever had bleeding, because I would like to think I do a good job colorfating them. But I am not willing to stick the "queen" with the "commoners" KWIM???
Ok I am also ranting, off to work!

· Registered
3,496 Posts
Actually Sandi.......all tye dye kits "should" have synthrapol. I think you missunderstood what I meant. I am not too good at making a point in these posts. LOL
Like carrieanne said.......you should do a prewash with it before you even begin the process. And then they should be washed in it after dying. I typically wash my dyes till the water is clear and no suds, kinda like dipes ykwim. Sometimes this may take a few washes. With prefolds I wash them, rinse good, dry them and wash again. Just to ensure no Blue bootys.
But the soda ash in the rinse is great for colorfasting.
Like I said before treat your new prefolds like a new red shirt...respect the color and the possibility it may bleed.

· Registered
3,496 Posts
will be the death of me LOL
I have such issues with it. It takes forever to rinse, it always seems to leak on me..........all in all it is my nemisis!
I have never liked it, therefore I do not use it much. I had trouble with turquiose too so I made my own blue.

I second the hot wash and rinse. I also agree with the soda ash in the rinse. Good luck ladies....
Sandi.......got some pics you wanna share?
I wanna see

· Registered
3,496 Posts
Here is what I do.
Rinse them in cold, let them sit a minute or two, rinse them in hot. I throw them in the wash that is already filled with water and with synthrapol. Wash them until the water is clear, dry them. I usually wash them again to get the "dye smell" off. New dyes have a "tempra paint smell" YKWIM?
Just to be safe I would keep them in a smaller wet bag, if you have one. On my care sheet I add that you should treat a new tye dye like a new red t-shirt. I wouldn't throw a new red shirt in with White dipes to sit wet.
BTW, the dharma kit is the best IMO. They have the stuff you need in there.
After you wash them again, add some soda ash to the cool rinse to help with the wetfastness of the prefolds. Be sure to do another synthrapol wash after though to get the ash out.
So for you here is what I would do since you already washed them.
Wash in hot with synthrapol
add soda on the second rinse(bout 1/2 cup for a small med load)
Wash again in HOT with synthrpol and rinse till water is clear with NO suds.
The synthrapol goes a LONG way, you do not need much. I have learned this the hard way once.
Good luck
pictures pictures pictures
I wanna see them!

Sandi......that prefold looks great
Scarlet.....I love them!

· Registered
3,496 Posts
I have a septic tank and I have been tye dyeing for 6 years in my home. I asked a friend of ours about it and it is fine. They chemicals used in dying are no more hurful that the ones used for swimming pools. I was worried about this too, but hearing from someone who "knows" septic tanks is good. I feel fine about it now. The way a septic system works is the water spills over the top into "field lines" which means it is put back into the soils. The chemicals used to make the dyes brilliant (Urea) is actually granulated cow urine!

The soda ash is sodium.......used in swimming pools
The synthrapol is a textile detergent and is actually safer than most laundry soaps.
Sometimes after a long week of dying I wonder if my yard will be rainbow. Hope that helped!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.