Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
5,891 Posts
(410) 887-3740‎. call to report a live birth. They start the process. Then a public health nurse comes to your home to take the rest of the info and verify the baby exists. They ask to do an exam, but you don't have to allow it. I told them it was a uc, but you can say you had an attendant you don't want to name. They also ask if you have been to a ped. I said no and that I wouldn't be going. They also want to verify some form of prenatal care, but weren't able to do that for me either, and no issues.

· Registered
115 Posts
There are some changes as of January 4th. Birth Certificates are files electronically. They no longer accept mailed in certificates, so you should contact the Division Of Vital Records to see if this changes how your birth will be processed. The health department would have to obtain access to their system to file the birth certificate, and I am not sure if they were part of the training. There were no health departments at the training when I attended, and you had to attend in order to get your pass codes to the system. There were homebirth CNM's at the training, and I dont see why a CPM could not get training and access to the sytem which would make things easier for you. You should discuss this with your CPM.

Jen Caniglio

· Premium Member
5,891 Posts
CPM's have nothing to do with birth certificates in maryland because they cannot legally attend births. Vital records can't tell you anything about registering a birth, only about getting a copy of your certificate.

· Registered
115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
CPM's have nothing to do with birth certificates in maryland because they cannot legally attend births. Vital records can't tell you anything about registering a birth, only about getting a copy of your certificate.
It still shouldn't matter, when you submit a birth to vital records you are saying that you are certifying that this baby was born to this mom, the attendant is a different issue. Which is all the public health nurse is doing, which is why they want to examine you to see if you gave birth. Otherwise a newborn could be abducted, say it was a UC and get a birth certificate. When entering births there is a box called foundling. If I find a baby on the street I can get a birth certificate for it. All you need is the day you find it, and if its a boy or girl. So if I can get a certificate in that sense I dont see why a CPM cant apply for access to the division of vital records. I can ask my contact about it to see what they say if it will make life easier for the CPM's.

· Premium Member
5,891 Posts
My point was that as a CPM, flying under the radar, it would be a little suspicious, no? How can the CPM certify that this baby was born to this mom if she wasn't there? The PH nurse I spoke to today said the changes to vital records don't change the process for registering a live birth with the health department.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Just to comment on the home visit, at least when I had mine done in Carroll County two years ago, it was a very simple visit. She just showed up, filled out her paperwork, and left. There were no exams or anything other than showing up and seeing that I was a real person with a real baby (who spent the whole time nursing, actually). I was worried it'd feel awkward or invasive and it was super simple and the nurse was really friendly and mostly concerned with making sure she filled the form out correctly.

When she came to the attendant line she even commented that sometimes people don't want to name their mw and we ended up putting dh's name there instead.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH MY WORD! This has been an ordeal! I called the # in the above post, that number is no longer valid, it gave me a new number. Then I got a gentleman there, and basically he said that the health dept no longer handles it, Refers me to the board of nursing. They laughed and said I needed to call vital statistics, VS, said that they only handle the state aspect of the paperwork and do NOTHING with registering the birth. SO I called the health dept again and asked if he could PLEASE try to find out who I needed to call. After being on hold forever, they said that I needed to speak to someone at Pediatric community based services. their number os 410-887-3725. FINALLY found out that I had the right place, BUT the person in charge is out because of the weather. They took my basic information and said a nurse would call me the end of this week or next. SO anyone in Balto CO. take note of the new number.

BTW- I am waiting for the MW to send me "papers" but my baby is 2 weeks old, and I need to get this started as I have no insurance for her right now and need to get her on our policy. The ins co won't add her without the BC.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvmy4girls View Post
OH MY WORD! This has been an ordeal! I called the # in the above post, that number is no longer valid, it gave me a new number. Then I got a gentleman there, and basically he said that the health dept no longer handles it, Refers me to the board of nursing. They laughed and said I needed to call vital statistics, VS, said that they only handle the state aspect of the paperwork and do NOTHING with registering the birth. SO I called the health dept again and asked if he could PLEASE try to find out who I needed to call. After being on hold forever, they said that I needed to speak to someone at Pediatric community based services. their number os 410-887-3725. FINALLY found out that I had the right place, BUT the person in charge is out because of the weather. They took my basic information and said a nurse would call me the end of this week or next. SO anyone in Balto CO. take note of the new number.

BTW- I am waiting for the MW to send me "papers" but my baby is 2 weeks old, and I need to get this started as I have no insurance for her right now and need to get her on our policy. The ins co won't add her without the BC.
good to note. also for our insurance we just had to call and add her within the first 30 days. I know we didn't have a BC by then because it took until she was about 3 weeks to get the home health nurse out and then several more weeks to get the notice that the BC was filed (we still don't have an actual copy yet). I know they really wanted the SS number and we provided that as soon as we had it, but it was not within 30 days of her being born.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With my other 4 that is how they did it. They added the baby and you had 45 days to send them the birth cert. or the birth registration notice. But I have called 2 times and spoke to 2 different people. Both have told me the same thing. That they CAN NOT add the baby with out a copy if the birth reg.
Do you know where I can get info on that law?
btw- we have Blue Cross Carefirst- BUT it is a self funded program through my husbands Union. So it follows federal laws and not Maryland laws.

· Premium Member
5,891 Posts
it's called the newborns act. I can't find the specific language. Have you spoken to a supervisor? How do they cover the first few well baby check ups? No one even goes home from the hospital with a bc. what if baby was in nicu?

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you so much for looking. I will call again, I do have the papers that they mailed me. What worries me is when I look all the laws I see say that if the baby is not added by the 31st day they legally do not have to provide coverage until open enrollment. (jan. for us)

I asked about the newborn coverage and was told that once they get the BC everything will be backdated to the birth. SO if we pay anything to keep reciepts to get reimbursed.
I really would like to just enjoy my baby instead of dealing with all this crap. Between trying to get the BC and the ins I am getting so stressed.

However - THANK YOU for trying to help me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.