Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least I think it's cradle cap, I don't really know what else to call it. Anyway, it's just horrible, l could just scrape and scrape and scrape all day and get stuff off. Of course my daughter is not having any of that!!

So, what really really works? It's almost like I need to massage her head with something to help take it off. It's like wax at this point. It has me wondering if that is why her hair grows so slowly. I need something that will work without much picking because she simply won't allow that.

Any ideas? My husband says to leave it alone, but I really want to get it off!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
My DS has a very dry scalp that is flaky at times, which may be slightly different from what your daughter has, but what we have found helpful is to massage jojoba oil into his scalp 10-15 minutes before his bath, then wash his hair, towel dry, and then pull a comb through it. It lifts the flaky bits and leaves his scalp wonderfully healthy.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The best thing I found for ds was to "paint" on it with burts bees chapstick. It's easy and not messy to apply, then when you shampoo, rub a bit more vigorously than normal and the stuff comes off very well. Even without the shampoo, you hardly have to scrape after applying the chapstick... it almost just rubbed off for ds.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My DD is over 2 and still has cradlecap left over from infancy. She has had tons of curly hair since she turned 1, and it is just impossible to get at it (plus she hates to have her hair played with). I ignore it, but I do wish it was gone. I am going to try the chapstick idea, thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
We used olive or grapeseed oil. Massage it in, leave it for a while then we'd wash it out in the bath.

Worked on them when they were babies and when they were toddlers.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What shampoo are you using? My ds had the same problem from the time he was born until he was 2 yrs old. Then I asked about it at the place that cuts his hair. I had been using the basic Johnson's baby shampoo and they said to use Paul Mitchell's Baby Don't Cry shampoo. Cleared it up in a week just like they predicted.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
http://www.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/f...ml?mv_arg=2475

Try the above...I've been using this on ds #3 and it works great! He doesn't have it on his entire scalp so I just spot treat the problem areas 30-60 minutes before his shower and it really helps. Once it is cleared up, I still use it once a week or so to keep it from coming back. Put straight shampo on it and rub in before wetting hair in the shower, lather, rinse and wash again.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thank goodness my dd isn't the only one with nasty toddler scalp. I mean, it's seriously gross and the only way I've been able to get it off is to use a baby comb sidways and literally try and "shave" areas off while she's sleeping.

I think I may try some of these other remedies . . .

·
Registered
636 Posts
DD is 18 months and has really bad cradle cap. I've tried a lot of remedies but nothing's totally solved it. I'm alway picking at it and she hates it!

One thing she likes that does help a little is using a toothbrush to scrub her scalp. I do this post olive-oil and post shampoo to get some of the scabby stuff off. It's not 100%, but it helps.

I've been told by a ped friend that dandruff shampoos will work (she recommends T-gel) but I'm afraid because you have to be REALLY careful not to get it in the eyes. DD is such a wiggle-worm that I don't think I'll risk it. The good news: most kids outgrow it by age 4.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the ideas, I am going to try some thing tomorrow and see if it will work.

Confession time though, I seriously rarely wash her hair!! It gets wet pretty much every day because she usually showers with me, but she always has a fit if I try to wash it. She's always been really head sensitive/head shy, so I haven't made an issue of it. But it's getting really really bad. So hopefully I can do a couple of these suggestions and get her use to a regular washing routine and get rid of the crud!!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
DS (3) had cradle cap really bad. I never used to wash his hair either because he hated it so much. I literally did not wash his hair for about 18 months. At all. His cradle cap cleared up on its own around the time he turned 3. He'll be 4 in Oct. and he will cooperate sometimes with the hair washing now. I'd say we wash it maybe every 3 weeks or so.

DD (1) has cradle cap too. I scraped a lot of it off a few weeks ago when she fell asleep on my lap. I wash her hair more often than DS's and she still has it. I guess they're just prone to it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The olive oil worked like a champ!!! I totally drenched her head in it on Friday night and let it soak for an hour. Then I washed her hair in the shower and I was just amazed how much came off!!! I brushed her hair a few times while the oil was in it and also while I was rinsing it in the shower. There is still some to deal with and I am thinking that I am just going to do an olive oil soak once a week for awhile until it's totally cleared up.

Thanks for all the ideas!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I understand that cradle cap in toddlers can also be a symptom of allergies. My DS had it this spring. It wasn't until he broke out with an all over itchy rash that we pursued a diagnosis. The doctor did a blood test and we found he was allergic to his favorite foods - bananas - as well as common ingredients - wheat and yeast. When we cut those out of his diet his cradle cap and rash cleared up.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
DD had the same thing. I used some Burt's Bees apricot oil that I had laying around from when I tried infant massage on her when she was a baby (which she hated.)

Anyway, I put a bunch in her hair on her scalp and then put her to bed. Then I combed it out while she was sleeping that night, and put some more on. It made her hair a bit greasy, but it really did the trick. It's been over a month now, and no cradle cap.

Oh, we hardly ever wash her hair either. She actually loves to wash her own hair, but HATES to have it rinsed off, so we don't do it too often.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm so glad to see this thread. DS wears a hat everyday because he's fair and it's really sunny here. I wondered if that could be contributing. I'm going to give the oil rub/ Burt's Bees remedies a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts