Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sarah's had cradle cap since January. I've tried Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Treatment and it worked okay, but then I had to wash her hair several times because the smell was horrid, thus bringing back the cradle cap. So what are some other ways to get rid of this? Me and my daughters head thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
My DD has had cradle cap for... well it seems like since she was born..
I can't get rid of i!
I've tried... olive oil... sesame oil.. (maybe that made it worse?)
but everytime I get all the scales off her head she has them again within a day or two...
they are a wierd yellow/brown color... is this cradle cap? Maybe the reason its not going away is because its something else?
What else can you try to get rid of it?

:

Andrea

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
In Susun Weed's book "Wise Woman Herbal, For The Childbearing Year" it says that any food grade oil to apply to baby's scalp and leave overnight.

* Rub Oak Bark infusion (Tea) or Witch Hazel infusion (Tea) or Black Tea into the babe's scalp several times a day, massaging each time you apply. The astringent tannins help slow down oil production.

* Amino-pon soap is a wash to loosen the crust

* Tincture of Burdock root to balance oil production from the scalp. The action of Burdock is a tonic, it can be given for max. effect for at least 3 weeks. The book say's for infants up to 20 pounds can take 5 DROPS a day in bottle of juice or h20. Infants over 20 pounds can take 10 DROPS.

* To get fast relief- Tincture of Wild Pansy leaf & Flower: 2-5 DROPS.
Wild Pansy is also called Heart's Ease or Johnny Jump-up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
We've had good results w/ sesame oil. Our accupuncturist says it has antifungal properties. I would rub a bit into DD's crusty parts, let it sit, lightly brush & then wash.
The only problem was it made me really crave dim sum. :LOL

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
DD2 had a bad case of cradle cap. It was difficult to comb out because she was born squirmy. When I finally got my chance (she had a cold and was sleeping sound) I used castor oil. I put it on before she was ready to nurse down to a nap and then used the cats' flea comb to comb up the softened scales. It worked like a charm and never came back. I'd tried different oils, a toothbrush and just ignoring it, but the flea comb did the trick.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Toby had it when he was littler. About 15 minutes before his bath, I rubbed olive oil really well onto the scaley area. I let it sit till bath time. Then I brushed it out with a soft tooth brush until the scales came loose. Then I shampooed out the oil.

It would stay away for a few days, then come back, and I'd repeat the procedure.

I had to do it for a few weeks, then it was gone for good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had good luck putting a drop (only 1 drop!!) of tea tree oil in the shampoo foam in my hand, and letting it sit on her head while she plays in the bath. Then at the end of the bath, I rinse it out. Then I brush her scalp, and it ALLLLL comes up and off - it's kinda gross, but it gets it up. I usually have to wash again the next day to get all the flakies out.

I have to do this pretty often, though... 1-2x a month or so? It does keep coming back, I wonder if what I'm doing is too harsh so her scalp is over-producing the oils again?? both my dd's have cradle cap, even my 3 year old!! It's so bad!

I don't know how to keep it from coming back. so, I'll keep reading

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ella still has a little at 9 months. I'll pick off a few scales while she sleeps, but don't really worry about it. The oil treatments got old after the cradle cap kept coming back. I think she's just outgrown it, as no scales grow back. It helps that she has enough hair grown in that I'm not looking at it all the time.

At least it doesn't make them uncomfortable, like a diaper rash.

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctdoula
I've heard you can put oil (olive, apricot, something....) on their heads & let it sit for a while, then take a little brush & work it around. Good luck

OH BABE!!!!!!!!!!!
Toatlly worked on ds1 who had the WORSE CASE ANY ONE HAD EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm talking 1/2 an inch thick
:

Use a ruch adn gently sweep for a while.
DONT USE A COMB TO SCRAPE IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!
I did and ds1 lost all the hair on the top of his head!!!!!!!!!!!! when it came off.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We had great success with olive oil here - I actually put it on dd's head before she went to sleep, and then brushed it out and washed it in the morning. It took several shampoos before her head wasn't greasy, but the cradle cap was gone.......

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well it sounds like you've tried lots of things to no avail. On a more mainstream board it was suggested that you wash the baby's hair with a little Head and Shoulders shampoo. I would think the chemicals wouldn't be too good (and it isn't tearless!) but when you're desperate and nothing else seems to work...

Good luck!
Laura

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was dealing with some stubborn cc on Melina a few weeks ago and on a whim used some of my "Big" shampoo from Lush. It has raw salt, seaweed, lime juice and some other stuff in it. It worked wonderfully and after 2 washes we have no sign of it coming back. It is a "scrub" shampoo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Burt's Bees apricot oil rocks! It smells so good too. I too tried the Gentle Naturals and yes it worked very well but it smelled like rancid spit up!! (Like a burp cloth you've forgotten about behind a couch pillow or something. Oh, vomit...) Badger Balm works well on the dry patches on their little foreheads.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I've tried EVERYTHING. I cannot get rid of Coles CC. He's 6.5 months and it's still bad. It's not thick but it's persistent and white all over his head. I've tried since birth and am still trying. Done olive oil, apricot, baby oil, jojoba oil, calendula oil, burts shampoo bar, TTO, selsun blue, tinactin and difucan for a WEEK!

What the heck?

It never stays away for more than a day and I only wash his hair every few days.

DR thought it had to be yeast hence the diflucan but it hasn't seemed to help either. Any ideas that we haven't tried? His doc keeps making a big deal about it at every well baby.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Some cc is because of food intolerance/allergies. One mama I know had to cut dairy completely to keep it off her baby girl's scalp. If she sneaks a little bit, it comes back BAD. I've also heard it related to other foods, but I can't remember which ones!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.