Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some projects to do with my 2 yo DD. We do the basics - coloring, painting, play doh, stickers - but it's getting boring. Weather's still pretty crummy right now, so we're stuck in the house a lot, and we're starting to rely on tv too much. Any ideas? I'm not afraid of mess!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2 yo loves to cut with scissors and glue.
So we've done a lot of that.
With cutting, I usually had many different lines drawn and told her to cut following the line, this reinforces the idea of going left to right.
While she cuts, I cut out parts for whatever craft, then have her glue.
We make lots of things this way, from puppets to just working with patterns.

We also baked together a lot, you could always involve her in cooking as well.
We work on textures this way (ex: the dough is sticky), colors (flour is white) and numbers (ex: we need two cups, can you count each cup with me?)

Even though the weather isn't the greatest you could always go ahead and start plants inside in a pot.
We did and it was by far my DD's latest favorite thing we've done.

When you color do you work with textures underneath?
My DD likes that too, coloring with different surfaces underneath and seeing what the result will be.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Painting with objects (strings, noodles, Styrofoam pieces, bottle caps...)

Woodworking projects, if she can be trusted with a hammer -- can be super simple, even just hammering nails into a piece of scrap wood to start.

You could make a Find It with an empty (clear) water bottle -- fill it with rice and random small objects, beads, coins, etc. and glue the cap on and then it's not just a craft but a toy too!!

You could also get a large cardboard box (as big as you can find) and turn it into a playhouse -- draw/paint/cut doors & windows, decorate it, etc.

Cut out pieces of felt in different shapes and then use the shapes to make pictures (Tangram-style) or cut & decorate animals, trees, houses, etc. and use them for storyboarding.

Glue various objects together... use your recycling bin... and some glitter.
smile.gif

Tie long pieces of ribbon or scraps of cloth onto a ring or dowel -- then she can dance around with it...

Iron crayon shavings between 2 pieces of wax paper. Or melt down old crayons to make your own.

Stamps! DS loves stamping...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.