Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, I sew. So to pass the time I usually make a lot of baby items. Helps with the impatientness and excitement! Last baby I made clothes dipes and wipes, and of course some clothes and other bits. I really regretted not making my own buckle carrier, but I was totally burnt out from making them for other people.
So I have a head start this time. Last week I made two carriers! Its rekindled my urge to sew.
Is anyone else making stuff?
I'd love to make some babywearing booties with suede soles and maybe some more diaper covers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Two carriers??? Awesome!!!!

I am a crafter too and as the days go by, with me laying around looking at apartment therapy, pinterest and home design blogs, I have tallied a probably unrealistically huge list of things to make.

I have huge stashes of fabric, notions, yarn, furniture and raw goods that I have challenged myself to use up though. No buying anything new for a project.

I want to make a bunch of little summer dresses and that goal seems pretty attainable. Knitted sweaters for fall are on the list too. And a ring sling from an ella roo. :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I also am banned from buying any new craft stuff. I knit and sew but if I put a project down I will never come back to it. I have to be able to finish in one sitting, which leads to marathon crafting sometimes. I want to sew the easy maternity dress I saw on pinterest where basically you attach a cotton skirt to a knit shirt and add a tie.

Reactions: starsmagick

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Making a buckle carrier sounds awesome! Wow! I am not up to any more crafting at the moment, three kids is quite enough to keep me busy, but I would love to see what you ladies make! I used to be into doll making and embroidery.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree the carrier sounds so fun to make. Did you follow a pattern? I would love to see a photo or tutorial on how you did it. Last pregnancy my SIL and I sewed a sling all one piece of material and it just did not fit right. it was too big. I want to baby wear and want a good carrier. Any tips brand suggestions etc... would be great!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I draft my own patterns, as I used To have a small business selling them years ago. But there's a pattern on etsy called 'sew toot' and it's great - very like a Tula and easy to follow instructions. I'm happy to help!
I'd love to do dolls! I knitted one once. It took me 18 months, lol!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I love to sew as well. So far with the fatigue all Ive been doing is compiling things on a Pinterest board, but I think Ill start soon. I probably wont make much for the baby till we know its a boy or girl and what exactly we'll need, but I have 3 babies and a toddler to buy Christmas gifts for so Im going to sew them gifts of some sort. Last year I made them all blankets with their initials embroidered on them...not sure what Ill make this year.

·
Registered
468 Posts
So my OCD and lack of fatigue combined to me cutting worn areas out of my (store bought) quilt I got when I was 10 to replace them with a cute Paris printed cloth I purchased ages ago. However, like I mentioned before I'm not very good at sewing. This is my favorite blanket so it's going to take forever to fix and I'm going to have to be very careful to work on it slowly because the thought of messing it up makes me want to cry.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm making a hat for my older son; I have a newborn sized one that I made for him when he was born, and so I'm making the larger one for my son, and the little one will go to the baby. The'll be matching :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
starsmagick thats so cute! what color(s)?

i'm hoping to attempt crocheting or knitting a baby blanket. I found a super cute and simple-looking pattern (http://www.purlbee.com/2008/05/24/whits-knits-super-easy-baby-blanket/) but then looked at the final size measurements and I think that's way too small! I am imagining something that I could lay the baby out on on the floor (maybe 4ftx4ft?)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
DH and I went into major organization overhaul mode the last 2 days. Not sure if it's the new year, early nesting, or just the fact that we had a few days off together and we know we're both going to get super busy again soon, but we went nuts cleaning stuff out! It started with me cleaning out the crafts dresser to become baby's, then he got inspired to clean out a few drawers in the kitchen, then I did a closet, he did our shed.....we kind of "feed" off each other - if one is doing something productive, the other one does, too. :)

Anyway, the reason I'm posting in the crafty thread is because now that the baby's dresser/changing table is completely clear (!!) I want to line the drawers with something. I was thinking about some sort of lightweight cork, but I'm curious if anyone has favorite things to line drawers with? Or has had drawer lining work out really well with certain material(s)??

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I've been holding off on the baby sewing until we know the sex... and also because I've been far too shattered to do basic housework most days, let alone sew!

This last week or so I've been feeling a bit better, but my two kids are in desperate need of clothes. So I just made DS three pairs of very simple shorts, plus a clip-on bow tie, plus shortening the sleeves of a (bought) long-sleeved shirt. I felt kinda guilty about that, because if this baby's a boy he'll be born right by DS' birthday, and the shirts would probably fit at the same age and same season. But meh, DS needs shirts now. I should do a few more, actually.

I'm also halfway through a sailor dress for DD, and yesterday I altered a top of Mum's into a maternity top for me. I also hauled out a ton of fabric from my stash to inspect its suitability for other maternity clothes. No brainwaves yet...

As far as the new baby goes, what I make will depend very largely on the baby's sex. If it's a boy, I already have a lot of nice homemade stuff left over from DS - I'll still make some things, but not as many. But if it's a girl, well, I didn't know how to sew when DD was a baby, and since then I've amassed a ton of gorgeous girl-clothes-patterns from Ottobre. So I'll go nuts with the little dresses and bonnets and mob caps and general cutery.

I do have a more-or-less-gender-neutral long baby gown I started making for the last baby (I miscarried). I'll finish that, either way; although it won't be terribly seasonal, as the last baby was due in November! But we can put a onesie underneath and wrap the baby in a blanket - the dress is too cute not to finish! Looks like a christening gown, sort of.

I made a gender-neutral mei tai when I was pregnant with DS, but I lent it to someone... will need to hunt it up.

I want to make this baby a playmat/floor quilt, too. I'm notoriously bad at finishing quilts, though! There are two half-done in the sewing cupboard right now... one of them was supposed to be a gift for DD to celebrate her moving into her big-girl bed! She's nearly seven... yeah. Though perhaps if I made an effort I could get it done by March for her birthday?

I kinda like the idea of a freeform-type quilt in the shape of a pond. Quilted with wavy lines, and with fish and frogs and lily-pads on it; I think that'd look cute on the floor. But I might go with something more traditional at first, and then do the pond-mat later as an activity mat - like, make goldfish plushies and attach them with ribbons to the quilt, and have the lily-pad stuffed with cellophane so it's crinkly, stuff like that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That pond quilt/ activity mat sounds absolutely adorable @Smokering!

I'm waiting for inspiration before I start crocheting a baby quilt. I have an awful lot of yarn thanks to my GMIL but most of it is awful colors or scratchy acrylic. Usually, I knit my friends and family a small blanket out of super bulky yarn because it doesn't take much time but that will be quite warm in June! Also, having trouble with carpal tunnel related pain makes me reluctant to start anything major, in case I can't finish.... :(

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Thanks! :) I made a farmyard-themed activity quilt for my nephew once, back in the day when I had more energy! It was really fun to do and I've been meaning to make another activity quilt ever since. Less monotonous than a regular traditional quilt, and you don't need to be nearly as fussy about matching corners and so on.

I wish I could crochet! A friend tried to teach me once, but it didn't stick. I'm a terrible knitter, too. Apparently yarn and I just don't get along.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Smokering, I'm hoping you have a girl, so we can see all the cute dresses and such!

I'm in part hoping for a boy so my mom will sew me up some new boy diapers and burp cloths since the last two babies were girls.

I'm planning on knitting a Very Hungry Caterpillar sack and hat either way. Then photographing baby each month as he or she grows bigger and then turns into a butterfly on his or her first birthday. I'll have my mom sew up some awesome butterfly wings for the party.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

I'm waiting for inspiration before I start crocheting a baby quilt. I have an awful lot of yarn thanks to my GMIL but most of it is awful colors or scratchy acrylic. Usually, I knit my friends and family a small blanket out of super bulky yarn because it doesn't take much time but that will be quite warm in June! Also, having trouble with carpal tunnel related pain makes me reluctant to start anything major, in case I can't finish.... :(
I feel like I might have read elsewhere about your carpal tunnel pain and I wanted to mention something to you. I used to get wrist pain when I put pressure on my hand or squeezed my hand in a fist. Ever since I stopped eating wheat, zero problems! Not sure if that would be something you'd consider, but it was a surprising benefit for me.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I kinda like the idea of a freeform-type quilt in the shape of a pond. Quilted with wavy lines, and with fish and frogs and lily-pads on it; I think that'd look cute on the floor. But I might go with something more traditional at first, and then do the pond-mat later as an activity mat - like, make goldfish plushies and attach them with ribbons to the quilt, and have the lily-pad stuffed with cellophane so it's crinkly, stuff like that.
Agreed, sounds so neat!! @Smokering, what kind of layers do you use to make an activity quilt? Different from "traditional" quilt materials at all? I've got some fabric I've been thinking of turning into a playmat of sorts, but was thinking it might be nice to have some sort of waterproof layer as part of the bargain...

I'm planning on knitting a Very Hungry Caterpillar sack and hat either way. Then photographing baby each month as he or she grows bigger and then turns into a butterfly on his or her first birthday. I'll have my mom sew up some awesome butterfly wings for the party.
Awwww Emanresu sooo cute!!!! :)

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Well, I've only made two floor quilts - one activity quilt and one small square quilt for a small baby to lie on, whatever that's called! I just used normal quilting materials - quilting cotton and fairly thin batting. But that was mostly out of inexperience! These days I'd probably want to use a sturdier backing. I don't know how easy it'd be to quilt through waterproof fabric, though? Do you mean like vinyl or oilcloth or something? I've sewn with PUL before and it's slightly 'sticky'... hard to describe, but it doesn't tend to slide smoothly under the needle, which is bad for quilting. Maybe a walking foot would help, though?

Here's the farmyard quilt, if anyone's interested. Terrible photos, and my quilting has improved... somewhat... since then. But it was fun and good experience.

I'm planning on knitting a Very Hungry Caterpillar sack and hat either way. Then photographing baby each month as he or she grows bigger and then turns into a butterfly on his or her first birthday.
Now THAT is a cute idea! Would the sack be a tube, like those newborn cocoons you see on Pinterest, or would it have a bottom?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts