Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you sell? I'm thinking about starting up a webstore - should I use Ebay? Etsy? Something else??

Please! Tell me what I need to know!
I've been giving away stuff I make for years, now I think I'm ready to start making some money on it -so where do I start?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have been selling on consignment for a number of years but recently I decided, on the suggestion of some very kind mamas, to try Hyena Cart. Today is my first stocking so I dont know if it will work for me, yet. I have heard good things about Etsy but the types of items that I make weren't selling very well, there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i too have heard really great things about etsy, and hyena cart. etsy more than hyena but only because of my limited experience with H.

Right now I'm selling in a craft/antique booth that I rent out at a local vintage shop here. its permanently set up, and they take my monthly rent out of my proceeds ($45/mo), and I make the rest

hth

·
Registered
830 Posts
Etsy is so much fun, but it seems like there are a LOT of sellers on there now! Still, it is worth a try to see how it goes. Just keep in mind that if your item doesn't sell there - that doesn't mean that it won't sell, kwim? You would probably want to spread the word about your etsy store other places to get customers.

Have you thought about opening your own online store? Depending on how serious you want to get, that may be your best long term option.

Local craft fairs can be a lot of fun and you will see what sells. Plus you meet other crafty people and that is always fun!

Good luck! Now I'm all curious about what you make!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice - I got impatient and began setting up an Etsy shop. It's empty now, but I've got LOADS of fabric and its snowing like mad, so I'm inside for the day. I make quilts, stuffed blocks, jewelry, wedding/other invitations, etc. I'm a crafter of anything that makes me say "I can so make that"

Here is some stuff I've made (with a good friend of mine) recently:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=628227

and I've gotten awesome feedback on the quilt, with lot sof comments like I wish I could quilt, os You have to make a quilt for my kids now... so I figure, Ok, I'll sell some baby/doll quilts.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Ebay for selling crafts... not!
uke

Ebay's fee structure is very high AND thge market is flooded with people selling handmade stuff, all mixed in with overseas-mased-produced fake crafts. I have tried seeling handmade on eBAY (with 100% of the proceeds going to the AMerican Red Cross after huricane Katrina) ... and it did not sell enough to make it worthwhile. [does work great for high-end collectibles, when they are hanging around
]

Etsy is very easy to test: 20-cent listings for 6 months. I still did not get good sales, BUT at least the money spent was less. It is all (mostly) handmade on etsy, so the real issue is pricing.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
SleeplessMommy- thanks for sharing your experience- very interesting.

My HC stocking was pretty successful for my first try, there. I received a warm welcome and sold 1 of two items that I stocked, so to me this was a big success! The fees seem very reasonable to me- $10.00 to set up and $5.00 per month to join a congo and the person that organizes it was very helpful, informative and has coached me through it all- Thanks to Jen from Cottonspuds Boutique! If you are considering it, natural fiber crafts are popular there and all kinds of handmade goods. It's also a great place to shop for these things.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItyBty View Post
Kodachrome - those little cakes! Utter cuteness!
That rug in process looks really pretty too - is it just braided cotton? I've always wanted to make a rag rug

Thanks!

The rug is from sheets, cut into looooooong strips (around 3/4-1" wide), then crocheted with a large (Size P 11.50mm) hook.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I finally did it - I set up my Etsy shop, set up a Paypal account, posted my first item, and I'm in business. Whoa.
Can I post the link here? Are we allowed to do that?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I love Etsy but never knew about HC - off to check it out!

I think you can post a link in your siggy but there might be a fee for it...?

Users who have paid for signature advertising may place links to their own charity auctions in their signatures provided that they stay within the 2 line maximum limit. A user who does not have signature advertising but would like to promote their own charity auction may request permission to advertise in their signature by contacting [email protected].

ah, here it is -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/payments.php?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
I love Etsy but never knew about HC - off to check it out!

I think you can post a link in your siggy but there might be a fee for it...?

Users who have paid for signature advertising may place links to their own charity auctions in their signatures provided that they stay within the 2 line maximum limit. A user who does not have signature advertising but would like to promote their own charity auction may request permission to advertise in their signature by contacting [email protected].

ah, here it is -

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/payments.php?
That's for charity. To link to your own WAHM stuff for profit you have to get an advertising package.

Quote:
Business Signature Advertising - 3 MonthsBusiness Signature Advertising - 3 Months
* On Sale Now! *
Permits you to advertise in your signature, not to exceed two lines total, including any personal info. Please read the MDC Signature Rules before purchasing. Cost:
-------- US$25.00
You can find more options here http://www.mothering.com/discussions/payments.php

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ItyBity, I also have an etsy shop and find that the key is driving traffic there. I'm sort of waiting until I have more than 20 items listed, but then I'm going to start doing email newsletters and stuff like that.

What's your shop name? What are you selling? I'd love to exchange ideas about more ways to drive people to our shops!

Mine's BambooVillagePress.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only have 1 item listed now, I hope to add more soon though. I'm WimZeeBee. What is the best way to drive traffic? I did send an email out to friends and family with the address to my store, and asked them to please pass it along. I've also got it up on my Myspace page and a few other websites I frequent.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.