Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have come to learn that many women experience cramping in early pregnancy and it's normal.  That makes me feel better, but how do you know when it's not normal?  This is my first pregnancy so everything is new.  I am 5 weeks pregnant and a nervous wreck.  I am having cramps that feel mostly like period cramps and are definitely not as bad as my worst cramps, but they are uncomfortable (mostly just worrisome though).  In addition, I sometimes have a more intense (still not actually intense though) right sided pain...which is where I know the little sucker implanted because I felt it happen.  Actually it feels similar to that pain except the implantation cramping was a bit worse.  Worse yet, yesterday we flew home and I got a horrible pain twice.  Once when I sneezed and another time when I got up from laying down on my hubby's lap on the plane.  It was quick, but very sharp.  I got home and googled and it sounds EXACTLY like round ligament pain, but I'm only 5 weeks.  It only happened when I sneezed and when I sat up.  Not again since. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>How do I know what's normal and what might be an issue?  I read that ectopic pregnancies can also result in a sharp stabbing pain.  I have taken 9 tests and the lines are getting darker and darker.  My temps are very high and continue to stay elevated.  I have no bleeding of any kind.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please reassure me or tell me what I need to do to be reassured.  Thanks so much.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

·
Registered
69 Posts
<p>I  was  told is  normal and  i  hope  they are  right  ...cause  i  was  having  that  sharp stabbing pain in  my  cervix area a  few days ago ....when  i  was  sitting in my chair  it struck and  bout  made  me  jump  out ....  it  stuck around all  day .Now  today  i'm  expirencing a  a  dull achy  pressure like  pain down  ther ....I'm  only a  lil  over  4 wks along now ... A Big Congrats and hope all goes well!!!!</p>

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
<p>I usually have some cramping in the beginning, and no matter how many times it happens, it is still alarming.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>During my first pregnancy, I conceived twins but miscarried one of them. The pain was so intense that I couldn't walk, stand, or sit. I had to crawl to the bathroom and I was bleeding heavily with bright red blood. In my second pregnancy, I had what I thought was a period - I had thought I was pregnant but then had this "period" and guessed I wasn't pregnant after all, but then an ultrasound showed that I was three months pregnant. I don't remember if I had bleeding/cramping in my third or fourth pregnancies. At the very beginning of my fifth pregnancy, I had moderate bleeding and painful cramping. We never figured out the cause but the baby was fine. Not knowing anything about you or your medical history, my guess would be that everything is okay based on what you've said. It is very disarming though and I hope it gets better for you.</p>

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
<p>seriously this sounds TOTALLY normal to me. i was worried this time around because i had an insane amount of cramping, i had cramps for 3 weeks straight!!</p>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>So it's okay even though it is sometimes stronger on one side?  I haven't had that sharp, stabbing pain again since last night, but I have had some pulling sharper pains here and there.  Nothing terrible.  Mostly period type cramping all over, but often extra focus on the right side.  Still sound normal?  I'm less worried about miscarriage (though still worried), and more concerned about ectopic.  Would I have other symptoms if it was a tubal pregnancy?  I'm just a worry wart.  My friend told me that one-sided pain can be a tubal pregnancy.  She also said it was too early for me to have round ligament pain.  I did read that is usually in the second trimester, but that's exactly what it felt like.  This will be a long 9 months if I keep up this worry.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

·
Registered
997 Posts
<p>Could be corpus luteum pain.  I would contact a Dr. then they can do an ultrasound to make sure everything is where it belongs.  I had pain in the beginning but it was more of a pinching right in the center.  I do have round ligament pain all the time now and know how painful that can be.  Getting out of bed sucks if I jump out without thinking.</p>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>My midwife is out of town so I called one I had seen before.  She wasn't there either, but the nurse wants me to go to the ER to rule out an ectopic.  That seems a little excessive.  The pain is barely like period cramps and I feel great otherwise.  I was calling just for more reassurance, not because I thought anything was wrong.  I don't think I'm going to go.  Since I initially posted (and called her), I have felt more pains on the other side now too...and we're talking mild cramping.  Why did I call her?  Ugh...now I'm freaked out.  I'm not actually worried it's ectopic, just worried I that now I have a decision to make and I might make the wrong one.  Grr...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>I am feeling much, much better today!!!  Here is my labwork from this morning:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HCG     1811      (500-10,000 for 3-4 wks and 1000-50,000 for 4-5 wks)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Progesterone 18.8    (first trimester 11.22-90)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Both seem a little low to me with those ranges, but I found something from the American Pregnancy Association that said anything from 18-7340 is normal for HCG at 5 weeks and anything from 9-47 (with average of 12-20) is normal for progesterone..  The progesterone range above is for all of the first trimester and I'm only 1 week late for my period right now.  I am on compounded progesterone and I took it the night before, but not this morning before the draw so maybe my levels are actually higher with the cream.  Please tell me everything looks okay. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can you take too much progesterone if it's the natural compounded kind?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bree</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts