Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well, I love cranberry sauce. I've made 4 batches of it already this year. We eat it a lot at dinner with whatever else is on the table and I love it on plain yohurt for a snack.

This is the reicpe I use:
1 bag cranberries
juice & grated peel from 1 oraganic orange
about 1/4 -1/3 cup maple syrup (depending on how juicy the orange was and how tart you like your sauce)
a couple dashes of cinnamon
about 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
about 1/2 tsp powdered cardamon

Cook all together on medium heat until cranberries have popped.

I like it warm and cold.

Cranberry bread is yummy too. Sorry, can't remember a recipe off the top of my head...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseccup

i also posted a yummy looking Cranberry Cobbler recipe in the Thanksgiving thread.
I just got finished making this. Between licking the pot and then the drippings that bubbled out in the baking process is any indication...OMG this is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!! It was easy to make as well. Can't wait till Thursday just to try out the cobbler.
my mouth is
watering as I type this thinking about it. It's a def. sweet tart flavor.

Momalea I made your recipe and
it's saving that cobblers life for now
I'll have to make up some more, it's REALLY good!! I used 1 1/2 orange and then about 1/4 cup syrup since that's all i had left and it's still really good!

·
Registered
624 Posts
reeseccup-I'm glad you liked the recipe. I don't bother to follow the recipe exactly anymore and each time there's more or less or any given ingredient and it always tastes yummy!
I'll have to try that cobbler...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Cranberry Compote
1/2 pound fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Put the cranberries, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool
from Emeril (bam!)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momalea
reeseccup-I'm glad you liked the recipe. I don't bother to follow the recipe exactly anymore and each time there's more or less or any given ingredient and it always tastes yummy!
I'll have to try that cobbler...
I'm that way with all my cooking!! Even the Cobbler I adjusted to suit my means
My kids have been circling the cobbler all day...they turned into vultures overnight it seems...glad i bought extra cranberries to freeze. I had cranberry sauce with lunch
soooooo yummy, def. goes great with poultry.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzo
Cranberry Compote
1/2 pound fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Put the cranberries, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool
from Emeril (bam!)

you've got a cobbler w/o the crust in the making it seems like

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccamaryll
one of my favourite recipes is cranberry and carrots. I am not a huge carrot fan, but with the cranberries - yum!!! PM me if you would like it and I can dig it up.
Can you post it Please? I still have 5 bags of Cranberries

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Anybody have a good recipe for a gelled cranberry? My family loves that lump from a can
: and I'd like to offer them something this year that they'll love but dosn't come out of a can. They hate normal cranberry sauce

maybe a using a home made concentrate and geletin?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms. Mom View Post
Anybody have a good recipe for a gelled cranberry? My family loves that lump from a can
: and I'd like to offer them something this year that they'll love but dosn't come out of a can. They hate normal cranberry sauce

maybe a using a home made concentrate and geletin?
If you just keep simmering them down, with very little juice added, they set up as a gel when cooled.

If they like the super-weird, "almost cran-free" kind, you could probably press it through a strainer or a chinois before cooling it.

alsoSarah

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryssann View Post
The cobbler recipe link isn't working still. Does anyone have it from last year?

I WISH!! I'm still burried in boxes, and can't find my recipe box
: which has this recipe in it.

I'm thinking of making the above Compote *which I recall was similar* and putting a crisp topping on it before baking.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Our family's cranberry salad recipe is pretty simple. Copied from a blog entry from my veg days. I've made it both ways. It makes a lot more salady stuff than one realizes.

Cranberry Salad

1 lb. cranberries
1 orange
2 apples
2- 3-oz. jello (I use SuperFruitz, by Hain, because I'm vegetarian. I chose raspberry. mom used cranberry and lemon jello, though she sometimes uses cherry)
2 cups sugar
2 C. boiling water.

Grind cranberries, orange, apples and add sugar. Let set.
Add jello to boiling water. Mix all together and chill until firm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.