Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have personal experience with this form of therapy?<br><br>
I have discussed my daughter Meredith here before. Briefly, at the age of 6 months she showed severe eye deviation. The left eye deviated outward. At 1 year, surgery was done and the eyes were re-aligned. Up until that point she was not crawling - but had a developmental boom thereafter. She basically skipped crawling, for the most part, and started pulling up - and then, walking.<br><br>
Fast forward - eye alignment seemed to be sustained for 6 months, when her eye began to turn inward now. Surgeon felt the muscle had slipped and not healed properly from previous surgery (two different surgeons - two different states). She went back under the knife for realignment correction at age 2.<br><br>
In under a year we saw the same deviation - eye turning inward or outward. Obviously, surgery is not our answer. It occurs when she is tired, emotionally charged or sick. However, it has been occurring more and more frequently. Obviously, we are concerned for the brain's tendency to choose one eye over the other in a developing child and basically 'turn off' one eye in its attempt to see correctly.<br><br>
Meredith is very disturbed by her eye and can communicate that to us now. She tells us her eye is silly, fuzzy, etc . . .<br><br>
I have been looking outside of the box for more alternative methods of Vision Therapy and have been in correspondence with a member here that has given me some good information on 'creeping/crawling' therapy.<br><br>
However, our children's pediatrician (a naturopath that somehow managed to get into the military's Tri-Care system - THANK YOU LORD) is practicing cranial sacral therapy.<br><br>
I'm doing a bit of research and I'm not certain it is exactly what we are looking for, but it is not invasive and so, we will be looking into it. We will look into anything that seems plausible as we seek out a non-invasive approach. This will be covered by our insurance as well . . . which is a tremendous boon.<br><br>
Just curious if anyone has experienced any effects of cranial sacral therapy involving a strabismus.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
CST is AWESOME!!!!!!<br><br>
I use it and am in some training. It benefits my son with autism. He loves it. It feels great.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My pediatrician's son has autism as well - she believes it is a result of immunizations. I believe her practice of medicine changed dramatically b/c of her son.<br><br>
Could you tell me a bit about what is done in CST?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Maybe this site will help you. Our therapist does many different things depending on what my son seems to need at the time. Lots of head work. She does lots with his feet because he was clubfooted.<br><br><a href="http://www.upledger.com" target="_blank">www.upledger.com</a>

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
We have used it on both myself & my son. Love it.<br>
It may be a really useful therapy for your daughter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts