Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woah - didn't see this one comin'. I think we've got a tomato intollerance here. Total surprise. I had cut them out with this most recent ED. Broke down and had some pasta with what I thought was safe sauce even though I hadn't planned on trialing tomato at that point (this was probably a week ago). Well, I thought that night was pretty bad but was bummed because I thought I had missed some corn in the sauce or something. I had eaten it with rice pasta. So...no tomato since then. Last night we were going out to dinner for the IL's anniversary and I knew I couldn't eat so I decided to tank up on spaghetti before we left. I ate my fav GF past which is made with rice, potato and soy flour. Seeds of Change sauce (same sauce as before). Decided to give some to DD directly which she could not get enough of. So, we both scarfed it. HORRIBLE night, after a pretty good night the night before. Again, my first thought was that I was stupid for trying the same sauce again, but then it occured to me it could be the soy in the pasta or the tomato. Then I remembered what happened a week ago and called the company. No corn in the sauce. So I really think it's tomato. I'm going to have to triple check that it's not the soy flour in the pasta but I don't think it is since we had a similar reaction last time only we had rice pasta. This absolutely sucks. Pasta and a delicious wild rice and sausage soup - two of my favorite GF, dairy free, corn free things I could actually eat and love. Obviously you can see what I am sensitising DD to - my favorite foods. This is f-ing ridiculous and frustrating. Now I'm wondering if she is even intollerant to corn at all. I think she is but I want to test it at some point when things calm down. At least hidden ingredient corn, if not chips, tortillas and the actual vegetable. I'm am so over this.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
It'll be okay

When we got dd tested at 15 mths, she was reacting to everything. After we cut corn (IgE result for that), she still would flare with nearly every fruit or vegetable. Mostly, they were high salicylate fruits/vegs. Anyway, as her gut healed, we were able to add back in nearly all of the fruits and vegetables. It took about 6 mths to get grapes back, 9 for bananas and a year to 18 mths for tomatoes, peppers, etc. She still can't do strawberry or mandarin oranges (weirdly, she can eat orange juice or regular oranges).

So, after some healing and getting her to baseline, your dd may very well get many of those foods back (and you, too
).

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
It'll be okay

When we got dd tested at 15 mths, she was reacting to everything. After we cut corn (IgE result for that), she still would flare with nearly every fruit or vegetable. Mostly, they were high salicylate fruits/vegs. Anyway, as her gut healed, we were able to add back in nearly all of the fruits and vegetables. It took about 6 mths to get grapes back, 9 for bananas and a year to 18 mths for tomatoes, peppers, etc. She still can't do strawberry or mandarin oranges (weirdly, she can eat orange juice or regular oranges).

So, after some healing and getting her to baseline, your dd may very well get many of those foods back (and you, too
).
Yes, I am not feeling too fatalistic about the whole thing. Especially since we are switching her insurance in Jan and will able to get her a constitutional remedy and maybe (fingers crossed) the visceral manipulation I posted about earlier. I really hope these help. That said, I could not be more depressed about the x-mas foods I will be missing this year. Last year the ONLY thing I wasn't eating was cow dairy and I thought I had it bad then. Ah, perspective.

ETA: hhmmm. should i cut out grapes and bananas too??? grapes would be easy, but banana.....eh, not so much. i have not given her any orange or strawberry fruit/product directly and i VERY rarely eat either of them right now.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update....I decided I wasn't convinced about the tomato. I thought maybe she just reacted when she ate it directly since she had never had a problem with me eating it before. So...last night I had a bowl of pasta with tomato sauce and she did just fine in the night - no reaction to speak of. YES!!! So I think I can keep eating it, just not giving it to her directly. (Oh, and yes - she would have had her reaction that same night. I know for some it takes a lot longer to react.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.