Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 9mo and crawling and climbing everywhere which is wonderful!

The trouble is that it is becoming harder and harder to get anything done. We dont have a playpen or a crib, dont plan to get either, so its quite difficult when I need 5 mins to go to the toilet b/c I dont have anywhere *safe* to put DD. I take her to the bathroom with me and she crawls about in there.

During the day she will only nap in my arms or if I lie down with her so I cant do anything while she sleeps.

I do have a sling which we use a lot but sometimes I need to be arms free.

Any suggestions? All my non-AP friends use a playpen or a crib.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have a modular fenced in play area for DS. The "fence" pieces are by a company called Today's Kids, I think (they were a hand-me-down). We have cushioned alphabet puzzle pieces for the floor. I'll admit that it is sort of like a play pen, which I wasn't crazy about at first. However, we live in a one bedroom apartment with two big dogs and two cats and we really felt that we needed what we knew would be a safe space (literally) for DS for when we have to use the bathroom or something like that. He actually really likes it, and he is never in there if he doesn't want to be. One thing that's great about it is that you can customize the size by adding pieces. Right now, ours is 28 square feet and we plan to add four pieces to it later today. Another great thing is that we can easily climb in and hang out with him. There's plenty of room!

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
With my first, I used a playpen sometimes, a doorway jumper thing sometimes (she really really loved it), a baby swing, but none of them for more than just a few minutes at a time.
With my new baby, I just put her down on the floor, making sure there's nothing nearby that she can get into that would hurt her. When she gets more mobile, I will probably put the baby gate back up in the extra wide doorway between the den and kitchen, and close the doors so she'll be contained in that one room. That worked with DD1 until she figured out how to open doors on her own.

The nap thing... I learned with my first, who wouldn't nap except in my arms, to nurse her laying down and either take a nap with her or very slowly get out of bed and leave her there, with pillows piled up on the floor in case she fell off the bed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey, our babies were born only 3 days apart!

Our new house has a really large living room with 2 doorways into the kitchen/laundry room (really open floorplan). When I have to be away for a few minutes, I put baby gates at the doorways. DS loves to pull up on them. I hooked some rings on one of them that he loves to pull on. He doesn't feel penned in, since he has like 300 sq ft to move around in (plus all his toys...the pets, furniture etc. lol).

I was installing an air conditioner into DS's room the other day with my dad's help. I took DS into the living room because my dad isn't used to a baby under him all the time. In like 3 seconds flat, he was back into the nursery...lol. It's amazing how fast they learn.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I lay DD down on the bed for naps, w/ a pillow on either side of her at the edges of the bed to remind her not to roll that way as she's waking up. She usually cries for me upon waking, and has only decided to explore instead a couple of times w/out getting caught before taking a header/footer/sider off the bed.

Our apartment is very badly designed for the needs of childproofing. DH is working on it while we're on vacation at my mom's. To go to the bathroom, I usually put DD on the changing table, which is so close to the toilet that there's just enough room to sit down and no more, so I can keep a hand on her and keep her from trying to escape. Letting her sit on her little potty while I go also entertains her.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You have some great ideas about how to deal with the sleeping. Personally, I would use that time to take a nap myself. I used to do that with dd1, and I really miss it, now that I have two and they never sleep at the same time.

I have a pretty open floor plan and have babyproofed really well. I admit to doing it as I go. I would see what dd1 (and now dd2) was getting into, and deciding if that was safe/unsafe and taking action when needed. The basics that we didn't mess around with, were outlet plugs, some cabinet/drawer latches (to cabinets that breakable/dangerous stuff in them), and a good gate over the stairs. This way, I just have to close the bathroom door or any of the bedroom doors I don't want baby to get into, and she has a large space that is safe. If I want to take it a step further, I can put a pressure gate blocking the kitchen, close the bedroom and bathroom doors, close the gate over the stairs and then baby has access to only one room (livingroom/dining room) without the feeling of being penned in.

I know some people don't like the idea of babyproofing, but I have found that it gives my kids a safe place to explore, me a chance to go to the bathroom (even if the door is always open :LOL , and I am not always saying no-no
. I've arranged my life and living space around my children.

Bec

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
My goodness, our babies were only born 3 days apart ALSO, but mine is 3 days OLDER, not younger, as with Karlin. What a coincidence!

The bug likes to crawl everywhere now too, and I also bring him to the bathroom with me. So far it hasn't been much of a problem because there isn't too much damage he can do in our apartment (we've tried to make it super safe), but perhaps with the climbing when that comes, things will get trickier. I also just get out of the house as much as possible, and he loves both the sling and the stroller equally for milling about the town. He and I both get restless when we're in our apartment for long stretches and it does seem I have to keep my eye on his antics nonstop (at a park it doesn't seem like there's much trouble he can get into)!

As for getting things done, do you have any other family members that would jump at a chance to spend some one-on-one play-in-the-floor time with your child? I know that when I just need to go lay down or go to the gym or go get my haircut or just whatever, my in-laws are thrilled to entertain the buggle. (not so much DH though, unfortunatly--he's working constantly, and I WISH my mom was here to help out but she's in the US)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.