Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh and I want to create a will--especially to ensure that if anything happens to us, our children will be taken care of by the people of our choice rather than sitting in foster care waiting for a judge to make the decision. Has anyone created a will? How much did it cost? Which lawyer did you use? What tips can you give us?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My husband and I just did our wills (finally) and found a fast, cheap way that was fine for our needs. We went to the website <a href="http://www.legalzoom.com" target="_blank">www.legalzoom.com</a> where they ask you a lot of questions, then draft a will that they send to you for you to sign. I would recommend it for a simple will. I can't remember the exact cost, maybe $50 each (each person needs one for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information.<br><br>
Do you have any tips as to what to include in the will, or does the website cover that?<br><br>
Was it difficult for you to come up with replacement caregivers (I don't know the legal term for that)? If it was, how did you make your decision? What were your main concerns in selecting a caregiver (right now, mine are emotionally sensitive and affectionate people, and a safe/stable home). Did you include anything discussing your style of parenting, and parenting preferences?<br><br>
I would really like to list some caregiver possibilities in the will, making the stipulation that those people can decide at the time if they are able/willing to take in the two children. The reason I think this way is because peoples' situations change so frequently, who is to say they are able today but will also be able/willing in the future? But then again, this might be a dangerous situation because what if no one on my list is "able/willing" (see "Story")?<br><br>
I would also like to list possible part-time caregivers in the event that the permanent caregivers need some backup.<br><br>
Do you have someone assigned to handle your will? I read a while ago that someone whom isn't in the will should be responsible for handling the details.<br><br><b>Story:</b><br>
My therapist told me about 3 kids he counseled. Both parents died suddenly (car crash?). They didn't have a will set up. The relatives were fighting over the kids because they wanted the monthly social security money that they would get for taking the kids. Because the relatives were fighting, the judge put the kids in foster care until s/he could make a decision, and they ended up in foster care for about a year. My therapist said those kids will never be the same.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think all the questions you have merit consulting an attorney. My husband and I are in the position of needing to create a will/trust as well. Though I've used a legal website before (to create a power of attorney when my DH was traveling overseas before my we were married) and been perfectly happy with the results, I want the expertise and personalized attention of an actual attorney for a will.<br><br>
We haven't found an attorney yet so I can't point you toward somebody. My advice for finding one is to simply start asking family, friends, and coworkers for recommendations. You'll not only get a name and number that way (as you would just looking in the yellow pages) but you'll also get to hear about someone else's experiences with that person.<br><br>
Good luck,

·
Registered
170 Posts
we made a will early on, whe we knew that ds would need special care. we just had to revise it due to a huge windfall that has left us stunned.<br><br>
we asked our families who would want the kids and stick to treatments and all that should something happen to us. so- the kids are slated to go to my sil and family, with visitation to my parents as often as possible. it's complicated for us because dh is english.<br><br>
go to a lawyer. you can check the bar association for mn online and they willpoint outt good estate planning or general practice attourneys. the benefit to using an attourney is that they can keep a will/trust/ all of that on file and act as a guardian ad litum for your children should anyhting happen. the bar assoc should also have info on complaints for everyone. i went with a local guy here who worked with the estate guy for my grandma- long story.<br><br>
good luck.

·
Registered
841 Posts
There was a local MN mama who is an atty living here who recently moved to NM. I got my will info from her, although have yet to have it completed (my fault, not hers). Anyway, I think she's still licensed in MN so you could try pm'ing her if you wanted info or wanted to use her - she knows her stuff and is reasonable.<br>
username is zazasmama

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
We used Richard Bunin to create a will with estate planning and a health care directive. I believe the whole thing came to around $800. His office is at the intersection of Hwy 100 and 169 in the Interstate Exchange bldng.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts