Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the right forum?

We want to put in a small pond, and Im not sure if its better to do the lined kind or just let it go natually. I would like to get some Koi also to help with the bugs and stuff, so Im sure it has to be a certain depth (Not even sure I can have them up here in freezing Maine winters?)

Do we just dig a hole and fill it with water???

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You'll almost definitely need some sort of pond liner, either a rubber sheet (sold at garden centers & home improvement stores) or the hard plastic kind. There's a ton of info on the Home & Gardening Channel site. I really like Paul James' advice:
Budget Water GardenBudget Water Garden
The Facets of Water Gardening
Aquatic Plants

I can't find the episode right now, but there was one on last week where he answered a question about whether small ponds need a pump & filter. THe answer was no, as long as you have:
1 plant per square foot of surface area
AND
1" of fish (like koi) per square foot of surface area

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Koi will most likely eat any plants you put in your pond. Plain old ordinary goldfish are better and they cost a whole lot less.

The fish can live in a frozen pond as long as it's deep enough to not freeze solid. I don't know how deep that would need to be in your neck of the woods, we're in the deep south so I've never had to deal with that.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I think you need MINIMUM 4 feet deep. Maybe more in Maine. And would suggest a liner unless you have a "free" water source - like a spring with lots of flow. Check out gardenweb for pond-making info...

Get the pond up and running for a while (weeks and weeks) before adding any expensive fish.

- sleeplessMommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.