Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old is responsible for scooping the kitty litter...

today she scooped and left the bag on the floor..I thought it was an emptly bag that had fallen down and kitty litter went all over.

I asked her to go pick up the bag, throw it in the garbage and vacuum...she went, I heard the vacuum.

She came in and I said "did you do the kitty litter like I asked" "yes"

so later I go back to the laundry room and the bag is still there on the floor where it originally was...

I have left it there for her to put in the garbage tomorrow but what consequences should she get for this?

Anything regarding kitty litter I can think of is punishment for the cats...we have a dog and I thought of making her walk the dog for half an hour every day(I walk her but an extra walk won't hurt the dog) It is pet related

Any suggestions..
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
i assume from the way you posted that you already cleaned up the mess, because I would wait -something usually comes up during the day that the kids need - a ride to the game, a trip to the library, computer time, tv time, something - I would tell her that I will be happy to go when she finished cleaning up the mess she left. her tardiness would be a natural consiquence to her actions. And do not feel embarrased yourself for getting her their late. Her responsibility, her consequence.

If you have cleaned it up that is more difficult, I think if this was the first time, I would have a serious talk with her and then institute the above if it happened again. I would especially point out how upset you were with her "fake" vaccuuming and that what she did is flat out lying and that you are disappointed. If this is a continuing problem, a good talk about responsiblity might be appropriate. A creative thought might be that it is her responsibility to take care of the cat liter like it is mom's responsibility to take care of a child. If she doesn't do her job, then you won't do yours i.e. don't serve her the prepared dinner that night, let her make her own sandwich. (I wouldn't go too crazy here, but it might put a light bulb on)

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't cleaned it up...I left it where I found it..she says she did vacuum but just missed a bit and forgot to take the bag out after...she is pretty responsible most days so prolly she is tellign the truth...I had her take the bag out and re-vacuum which she did quite cheerfully and she also apologized without being asked.

So I think we are good!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts