Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am participating in my first craft fair in December. I have a website and process CC online using paypal. I really want to be able to accept CC's at this fair - can I still use paypal? I am not a huge fan of paypal actually so it might be even better if I could find a merchant account (my bank isn't an option - they don't have them).

Anyone have any suggestions on merchant accounts best for craft fair type places? We aren't doing a whole heck of fairs this year so I don't want to spend too much $$.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanessab23 View Post
:
I never figured this one out...
Always a concern as a seller at craft fairs, too, because I know I like using a cc when I shop at them!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I use ProPay for these events. I write out a receipt and then charge them when I get home. I ask for their email address so I can send them an electronic receipt. Propay.com

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you get the card information from the craft fair to your computer? Do you have some sort of terminal?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
No, I just write out their receipt and keep a copy myself. That has all their card info. Then I enter it online when I get home later. Low tech in that regard, I guess!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yitlan View Post
I use ProPay for these events. I write out a receipt and then charge them when I get home. I ask for their email address so I can send them an electronic receipt. Propay.com
Ditto. Did it for the first time at an Art&Wine last month. Worked great. Just make sure you CAREFULLY write down the number and info. I missed a number on one CC. Luckily, I emailed the customer who very honestly emailed me back with the needed info.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yitlan View Post
Thank you so much for this info - I had never heard of propay.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up calling bank of america and finding that they will setup an account for $150. You then pay for a manual credit card imprinter that costs $25 (one time fee - it's yours) and that comes with a custom name plate with your business name. This account allows you to take an imprint of the CC at the fair and then, when you get home, you call in each sale. The money is deposited into any bank (doesn't have to be bank of america - our account is with a credit union). There are no annual fees, no cancellation fees, no contract. So, it seems like a good deal to me. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't committed yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
word to any one considering a merchant account.... if you have filed bancruptcy in the last year, they pretty much charge you more to take other peoples money or won't even let you get a merchant account.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patchy Dragon View Post
word to any one considering a merchant account.... if you have filed bancruptcy in the last year, they pretty much charge you more to take other peoples money or won't even let you get a merchant account.
That is exactly why I was excited to hear of ProPay. I do have a recent bankruptcy. Does ProPay care?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JillyD View Post
I ended up calling bank of america and finding that they will setup an account for $150. You then pay for a manual credit card imprinter that costs $25 (one time fee - it's yours) and that comes with a custom name plate with your business name. This account allows you to take an imprint of the CC at the fair and then, when you get home, you call in each sale. The money is deposited into any bank (doesn't have to be bank of america - our account is with a credit union). There are no annual fees, no cancellation fees, no contract. So, it seems like a good deal to me. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't committed yet.
They're charging a $150 set up fee??? What is their fee per transaction (flat fee/percentage)? Unless it's incredibly low, I'd look elsewhere.
I researched this a bit a few months ago, for a very small bricks&mortar store. I ended up with CitadelEFT (see more at www.goodrate.net), who I first ran across on ebay. Their rates are low, and their customer service is great. No contract, no extra fees except for a low monthly statement fee, no exhorbitant fees for some cc's, etc. I bought a cc machine for under $150 that will also allow for off-site sales (stores the info until you can re-hook it to a phone line). Generally, using a manual imprinter & calling in sales results in a higher rate, too.

HTH,
Susan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts