Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For recent mamas -
I am planning to make a crib bumber by myself and I can make it as one long piece or as 4 different pieces. Which one is more convinient? Better looking? I had my son many years ago and I do not remember.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I you are planning on using a crib then I would not use a Bumper at all... for safe crib sleeping they are not recommended... they limit the air flow in the crib and are said to be dangerous for smothering...

Quote:
Which Groups Have Recommended Against Bumper Pads?
Some major children's safety organizations have recently suggested that parents and child care providers should remove crib bumper pads from baby cribs. The groups include: American Academy of Pediatrics, Health Canada, National Center for Health and Safety in Child Care, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the First Candle/National SIDS Alliance. Some state and regional Back to Sleep campaigns now recommend removing bumper pads, as well.

Why Do These Groups Recommend Against Crib Bumper Pads?
One reason child safety organizations recommend against crib bumpers is that they pose a risk of suffocation. Just like a pillow or thick blanket, crib bumper pads can restrict a baby's breathing if the bumper is up next to the baby's nose or mouth. Suffocation risk is greatest when babies are very young and unable to move themselves away from potential hazards.
Rebreathing of air is another concern with crib bumper pads. The bumper reduces the flow of fresh air around baby during sleep. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that some infants, when they are overheated or lack sufficient oxygen during sleep, are unable to arouse themselves enough to prevent hypoxia and death. The AAP states that re-breathing of air may in fact be a contributing factor to SIDS.
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/rec...mpersafety.htm
I know some people that wanted to use the bumper anyways and put it around the mattress with only an inch coming out from the mattress... (so that you can see it from the outside and hide the mattress and there is less risk)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
They have a nifty mesh bumper at Target... Actually I just discovered it at amazon too and their link is easier:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...49542?v=glance
Maybe you could peek at that and try to figure out a way to make your own? I like this as it would keep the baby from getting his/her feet/legs thru the bars, but is breathable to help prevent SIDS. I'm sure you could find a similar fabric if you wanted to make your own!

Or you can google it: breathable bumper

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard about bumpers being unsafe but I want to do one anyway. Possibly I will decide not to use one later on, I still want to make one, they are so cute! In a mean time for those who used it, which one is more convinient?

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I have one that I've always used, it's one long piece, but with seams at the corners. Then it folds more easily to fit right around the edge. I think that one long piece would be more convenient, and safer, because the space where the pieces go together seem like a place where the baby could get stuck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've used bumpers with all three of my children and never had a problem. When I made them, I used one long piece - it seemed like that made it stiffer and it held up longer and the babies couldn't squish them down and cause a problem. I did remove them if they used them to boost themselves out of the crib though.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I love our bumper, because Guinevere kicks like crazy and would have bruises all over if we didn't have one.

Granted, she's not in her crib for nighttime sleep (we co-sleep) and won't be for a few more months, so I'm not concerned about safety issues, since it'll be past the SIDS danger time (2-6 months) before she's in it for sleeping purposes anyway.

Not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

ETA: Ours is one long piece -- and the ties are on the outside where she can't get to them. It doesn't attach to itself at the ends -- they just both tie around the same corner. Does that make sense? I wouldn't go with one that is different pieces, personally. Seems like you're asking for tangle issues if so.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I vote for 1 piece. Mine is in 3 pieces, and is sooo annoying. If one comes down, then it's like dominoes. I started doing the back 3 sides and leaving the front one open. Took them all out once they started rolling around a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.