Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to use a co-sleeper to start, but I am also going to register for a crib for later on, perhaps one that converts to a toddler bed. With all the crib recalls, I would like to know if anyone has a good recommendation for this.<br>
As always, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry, we got ours from a friend as I couldn't stomach the cost for a new one. The girls didn't use it until they were over 9 mos anyway, so you'll probably have lots of time to research.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My only recommendation is to stay away from the drop-side cribs. They are constantly being recalled - they're quite dangerous and have killed some kids. I think it was the CPSC that said no one should use a drop-side crib. If you're on the shorter side and think you won't be able to reach your child, go to a store that sells cribs and look at the different heights. Not all of them seem to be as high on the sides as others.<br><br>
Also, my DS is 18 months old and we have yet to use his crib. One of my friends puts her toddler in it when they come to visit.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
<a href="http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012703" target="_blank">CRIB</a><br><br>
This is similar to the crib that we have, but no exactly. I guess they don't have it any more. The side doesn't move up and down and the slats aren't big enough to fit through. The front is just lower than the back and the back is solid wood instead of the slats, but it is black. We also didn't start using ours until B was around 10+ months and he stayed in our bed and the co-sleeper. We plan on doing the same thing this time around and putting B in the twin bed we already have once the new LO is ready to move to his/her own room. The one we have also converts to toddler/full size if/when necessary.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! I will most def. avoid the drop-side crib. I'm not sure how much we'll use it, though we do have a small house/bedroom, etc. I can see us not affording it down the road, and this is one item with all the recalls, I don't feel comfortable buying used. I'll keep poking around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We have an arms reach cosleeper and a drop side crib......weve never used either. IM trying to figure out how to get my 2 yo into the crib. He has been sleeping really well sort of through the night lol since my milk has completely dried up for about a month now. He still "nurses" to sleep and at wake up, but not in the middle (and if he wakes and asks I tell him the milkies are asleep). He keeps saying, "milkies all gone" anyway.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If I had an endless budget I'd buy one of these:<br><br><a href="http://organicgrace.com/taxonomy/term/76" target="_blank">http://organicgrace.com/taxonomy/term/76</a><br><br>
If this had been our first baby, I totally would have invested in a good solid-wood crib (and I love the one that is meant to take a side off so you can side-car it!) and a good, quality organic mattress.<br><br>
Our first slept in a crib a bit, the 2nd not at all, so we won't be getting anything this time around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts