Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized this may be a good place to get opinions on crib safety.<br><br>
According to the crib safety instructions we should take dd out of crib due to when standing her head and tops of shoulders are above the side. The safety instructions say that this is tall enough to climb out.<br><br>
I asked the pedi and he said keep her in the crib. His reason was the in case of house fire she will probably leave her room if in a bed and we may not be able to find her.<br><br>
Mommy instincts tell me to keep her in the crib. I do worry about her climbing out and falling but I cannot see her sleeping in a bed. The few times we have tried to bring her in our bed she cannot sleep-too distracted by being able to get up and explore. Even with a door and/or baby gate I fear she will get out and go wandering the house.<br><br>
DD is 20 months old and climbing everything.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
DS1 co-slept until 3 or months, when he started preferring to sleep on his own. We moved him to a toddler bed at around 18 months. He couldn't climb out yet, but I didn't want to take the risk, and he was ready for a big boy bed. The transition was so smooth. He actually started sleeping and napping better than he had in his crib. He doesn't leave his bed until DH or I open his door. We didn't intentionally train him this way, it's just what he does. Can your DD open doors? Because this is a skill my son has not mastered, and things may change once he does, but he has no interest at this point.<br><br>
As far as your pedi's advice-I think he's fear mongering, to be honest. By his logic, you'd never take a kid out of their crib! My advice would be to evaluate your individual little one, and go from there. If the mattress is at it's lowest setting and you think your DD is capable and willing to try and climb out, I would move her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts