Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made crispy macadamia nuts, cashews and almonds according to NTrecipies - yummy! I would love to make crispy hazelnuts, too - but don't see a recipy for that in NT. Would you make them the same way as we do with almonds? Peeling the skins off and using the same time and temperature and all?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I am at work, so I don't have NT with me but there is a crispy hazelnut recipe in it. It's near another nut recipe as a variation. Maybe peanut?

It says to roast the hazelnuts and rub off the blackend skins, then soak and dry. I have not actually made it past the crack, roast and remove skins.... it was a bit of work and they all got eaten before soaking LOL

However I just cracked some more and might do the whole process.

The only thing that confuses me with this process is that the roasting time really seems like the nuts are cooked. I don't get how they can be soaked after that point to remove the enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid?

Rhianna

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much Rhianna - I found it now! I don't like peanuts so I didn't read that recipe, and overlooked the variations bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
The only thing that confuses me with this process is that the roasting time really seems like the nuts are cooked. I don't get how they can be soaked after that point to remove the enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid?Rhianna
That confuses me too! Maybe Sally thinks that some enzymes are lost in the roasting process, but that getting rid of the skins is more important because otherwise they would irritate the digestive tract? I dont't know...

Note to self: Do not start roasting process and leave the kitchen to change a diaper!
(they get black really fast!) Best of luck to myself next time I try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.