Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I'm monopolizing this board with questions lately, lol, I just finished reading NT last week.
Anyways, the recipes for crispy nuts say to cook 12-24 hours in a 150 degree oven...but i have a gas oven, I don't feel comfortable leaving it on overnight. Is there some other way I can cook them?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
What about putting the nuts in first thing in the morning, leaving them in all day, then removing them just before bed? If they aren't finished, you could put them in again the next day. If you just leave them in the oven overnight, they will continue to dry, as it will take the oven a few hours to cool. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmommy
What about putting the nuts in first thing in the morning, leaving them in all day, then removing them just before bed? If they aren't finished, you could put them in again the next day. If you just leave them in the oven overnight, they will continue to dry, as it will take the oven a few hours to cool. Just a thought.
That's what I would do. We do have a dehydrator, which was pretty inexpensive. I think it was only about $15, IIRC. It never takes 24 hours to dehydrate them in there. It usually only takes 12 or 13, so I think leaving them in the oven all day would be long enough.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattyla
WHere did you find a $15 dehydrator???
Honestly, I don't even remember. We got it about 4 or 5 years ago. I just remember being shocked that it was so cheap, and snapping it up so I could make fruit roll-ups with applesauce.

ETA: Of course it's very basic, but it dries out the food, which is all it's supposed to do anyway, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.