Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a letter to the corporate offices of a store b/c one of their employees was rude to me while I was NIP. Please read it for me and suggest any changes before I mail it. TIA.<br><blockquote></blockquote><span style="font-size:small;">To whom it may concern,<br><br>
I am writing about an incident that happened a few weeks ago at your _________________New Jersey location. I would have written sooner, but I left for a family vacation right after the incident.<br><br>
While I was nursing my baby a store employee approached me and asked me in a very loud voice that startled my baby if “I would like to go to the bathroom.” I answered “no” and continued to nurse my baby. She went to another store employee in an attempt to get her to also ask me to leave but the other employee correctly informed her that I did not have to go to the bathroom to feed my baby.<br><br>
Since the second employee was polite and I was in a hurry, I chose not to pursue the matter further at the time. I would like to bring this to your attention though, so that you can take this opportunity to educate your employees that New Jersey state law makes it illegal to harass nursing mothers.<br><br>
Sincerely,<br>
Jennifer ________<br></span>

·
Registered
439 Posts
First, you need to find out to whom you ought to address the letter. Often, letters addressed to "To Whom it May Concern" are pitched because they don't really concern anybody.<br><br>
Secondly, telling them you would have written sooner but you went on vacation says, "This wasn't really important enough to me to write sooner." I know that isn't want you intend to say, but that's how it comes across...and if it isn't important enough to you, it won't be important to them.<br><br>
Also, it sounds like the second employee did educate the ignorant employee, so you might reword the letter. How about something like this:<br><br>
May 20, 2007<br><br>
Dear Mr. Smith,<br><br>
Recently, I was at the New Jersey location of Your Store. While shopping, my baby got hungry and I stopped to feed her. I was approached by one of your employees who requested I retreat to the bathroom to feed my child. I informed the employee that I was not interested in feeding my child in the restroom, at which point she attempted to seek backup from a coworker.<br><br>
I was very pleased that the coworker did not back up the first employee. Instead, she informed the employee of New Jersey law that states mothers may breastfeed their babies in any location in which the mother is otherwise authorized to be.<br><br>
Though the response of the second employee was satisfactory, I would like to request that all employees be made aware of the New Jersey law. I would also urge you to enact an official company policy to ensure that no other mother will be asked to feed her child in the bathroom again.<br><br>
Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply.<br><br>
Regards,<br>
eepster

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
ITA with the above, and even better if you know the names of either or both of the employees and can remember the date of the incident. Include the statute of your state law. The grammar nazi in me wants "got" taken out of the second sentence, but it's a judgment call.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I personally would emphasize how disgusting and unsanitary it would be to have to eat in a public restroom. Perhaps you should point out how offensive this proposition is, to feed an infant with a new immune system in a public bathroom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts