Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm pretty new in this forum (though not MDC), but I've been crocheting for years: hats, stockings, afghans, one skirt (not really the biggest success, really), and I just did a granny square purse!

I just bought the coolest yarn. It's a synthetic
but it's one of those sorta furry ones (it's the lavender twist). The colors are perfect for my sister who is going to have a baby in November, and a birthday of her own a few weeks later. I want to make her something, but I'm not sure what. I thought about a scarf, but she's got tons. Socks? She doesn't like those ponchos that can be handy for "discrete NIP", so that's out. What does a new mama want (it's been 2.25 year for me, and I had a spring baby)? And the other thing, this yarn is a bit hard for me to work with. So nothing delicate, I think. Do ya'll have any tips for working with that furry stuff? I love it, but I have a hard time finding the right spot to get my next stitch in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe a Boppy cover? Soft on the baby, and she gets to look at it often. If you do not have much, you can do the two sides differently.

As to the yarn, I rarely use anything smaller than a K for yarns like that, and don't look, just feel. I find it much easier when I go by touch with that stuff.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lúthien Arcamenel
Maybe a Boppy cover? Soft on the baby, and she gets to look at it often. If you do not have much, you can do the two sides differently.

As to the yarn, I rarely use anything smaller than a K for yarns like that, and don't look, just feel. I find it much easier when I go by touch with that stuff.

Hope that helps.

Oooh, what an interesting idea! Of course, I just tried to convince her to go with My Brest Friend or something instead cuz I couldn't stand my boppy, but I doubt she'll change now. Do you know of a pattern out there for such a cover?
And do you think i would need (or even be able to) felt it to make it less impervious to milk spillage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Rana
Do you know of a pattern out there for such a cover?
And do you think i would need (or even be able to) felt it to make it less impervious to milk spillage?

Thanks!
No, I would just wing it. Do you by any chance still have yours to use for measurements?

No, I do not think you could felt that stuff. Maybe melt it though.
BTDT!
And no, I don't think it's necessary really.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorprincess
What about a funky hat for mama? Or matching ones! That's great for the fuzzy yarns. I usually use a way big hook for yarns like that, like an N hook.
I'm thinking the matching hats might win, cuz as cute as the boppy cover might be, I'm not much of a wing-it crocheter!
So now I just need to pick a patter that would be cute on both of them, and with a large hook, safe for baby (too big holes and all, ya know?)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMoulton
I bet that yarn would make wonderfully soft booties for the baby!
They would be great for booties, but I don't know if I'm skilled enough to use a tight enough stitch to keep the little one's toe from coming out the holes, yk?

Itelly, the purse thing might be an idea. Like something spefic: just big enough to stash keys and cell so she can run to the store for dipes, or something. Or maybe a fashionable fanny belt? Or just a cute little bag on a long strap to go over her head. But again, I am not going to be able to use a tight stitch with this furry yarn, so holes.

*sigh* I really appreciate all y'all's ideas. They're all great, I'm just not sure I can pull them off with this yarn.
I wonder if I could use a regular yarn, SC, and then just weave the cool yarn into it with a tapestry needle?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I have a super simple pattern for booties that tie at the ankle with a bit of ribbon - adorable! They are made with a G hook and very simple - let me know if you want the pattern - I can post it because it is one I worked out when I desperately needed a quick baby gift one day!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Actually, you could weave in the fuzzy yarn after you've created something. That is a nice, simple thought. What I did was make a skinny scarf with the one ball I bought to try with. I also did a pattern like dc, ch1 so that I could put the stitches in the ch1 spot so as to have a big spot to put each new stitch in. Of course, the ends would still be hard, but having a bigger spot helped it along nicely.

April
intuitive medium

·
Registered
635 Posts
I, too, have trouble finding the right place to put the hook for the next stitch with these yarns. I usually double up with a soft, thin yarn in a complementary color. You could make a small blanket...just big enough to drape over the baby in a car seat. Those of us having babies as the cool weather approaches will have to bulk up on things to keep the kiddo warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.