Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of electric food gadgets, so i don't want to get two things. But i remember there being a crock pot thread last year that made a pretty compelling case for dinners in crock pots. I understand you can cook more than rice in a rice cooker, including meals. Which should I get? Which is going to do the most? Or are there any other concerns about either I should be aware of? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
I don't own a rice cooker because we can cook it in our steamer so easily. The questions I'd ask myself about the desicion are, how often to I eat rice, have I mastered another method of cooking it? I might buy a rice cooker if I eat rice a few times a week and always make it from scratch and have yet to really master making it on the stove. Personally I love our steamer and we pretty much only use it for rice now, because we don't steam alot of vegies. But I didn't buy it, it was a gift.<br><br>
I also love the crockpot. It's great for holidays and parties. Great for keeping things warm for a buffet meal. I make mulled cider in it and it stays warm.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I love my crock pot so much I got a second for Christmas last year. I don't use it a lot in the summertime but I use a crock pot at least twice a week, most of the time more, in the cooler months.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Crockpot!<br><br>
I use mine at least once/week. Plus, making rice is so easy. Just remember don't stir it and let it set after it's done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just got a crock pot (as a gift). So far I don't like it. Or perhaps I've not yet mastered it. I've tried 4 different recipes. We are vegetarian and that might be part of the problem. If you eat meat, it seems you might really enjoy it as you will find so many more uses.<br><br>
The other thing that I guess I don't like is having it cooking all day long in my house. I'm a SAHM and maybe I'm impatient, but I can't stop myself from opening the lid to see what is happening in there. If I was away from home all day it would make more sense. Also, I don't really like smelling my dinner all day long. By dinner time I'm tired of the smell.<br><br>
If anyone has any suggestions, or recipes, that might help me like my crock pot better please share.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts