Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a HB programmable crock pot but before I open it, what are the advantages to cooking in a crock pot versus just slow cooking in a dutch oven? I have a cast iron dutch oven so wonder what I am gaining by using a crock pot.<br><br>
Do any of you cook in crock pots while you are away?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Absolutely. I leave the house with a crock pot plugged in, I don't leave the oven on though, so I use the dutch oven when I am home for the whole cook time.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I agree - I like the crock pot for days when i need to be out doing errands or am just really busy. I can set it to cook for a certain amount of time, don't feel unsafe leaving in on while out, and when it is done it automatically switches to 'warm'.<br><br>
I also use mine for things like 24 hour bone broth. I wouldn't want to leave a pot on the stove that long (gas) but am fine with it in the crock pot.<br><br>
I love slow cooking in the oven too but do that on days when I am around to monitor.<br><br>
I love having one! I hope to upgrade to a nicer one eventually - mine is a great size but the programming options are limited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts