Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of letting a toddler wear Crocs -- all the time?

Why or why not?

Is your opinion different if its a first shoe (first hard shoe -- walking for 6-8 months in soft soles) v. a child who's been wearing shoes for a while?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
What do you think of letting a toddler wear Crocs -- all the time?

Why or why not?

Is your opinion different if its a first shoe (first hard shoe -- walking for 6-8 months in soft soles) v. a child who's been wearing shoes for a while?
My toddler wears crocs all the time. I don't recommend it. She has polka dot feet.

Other than that, I don't think it really matters when the child wears Crocs. They seem comfortable, more comfortable than some regular shoes. The only complaint I have about them is the holes and the seeming lack of heel support. Wait, also the sizing. I suppose they conform to the foot?
I don't have a pair myself, so I can't make an informed decision based on that. I just know my dd likes them and walks comfortably. She is 18 months old.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe Crocs are fine, walking-wise. I would hesitate to let a young child wear them all the time, though, but only because I am anti-plastic and I'm not confident about the purity of the rubber/plastic material Crocs invented for their shoes. The bottoms of our feet absorb chemicals or anything that they are exposed to, and many plastics contain lead and mercury to make them soft.

I'm pretty obsessed with getting plastic out of my family's lives so my reply is probably a little extreme.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son loves his, but our pediatrician was concerned saying he is seeing more arch problems because their support is not as good as a tennis shoe for heavy play activities such as the park, and they can slip off play equipment when the crocs start to wear a little on the bottom. We still have them but they are limited to the pool and trips around town when he wants to put on his own shoes, for the park and outdoors it is tennis shoes.

-Kori

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I just wanted to add that we are Canadian so shoes are limited to outdoor use only(hence the polka dot feet). The rest of the time my dd is barefoot.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
my son wears them i think they are pretty great as far as kid friendly shoes go. he also wears soft star shoes.

i wear crocs almost exclusively (when i am wearing shoes at all) so i can't really see how they would not be ok for a toddler.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We don't do crocs here.

We also don't do flip flops.

No shoes with any type of "heel" or "wedge."

For parks or outside play they've always worn shoes that are lightweight, flexible, stay on their feet, and have some ability to grip a surface. (we often buy preschoolians for the park & play - lots of great choices)

Mostly I want them to be able to run, climb, jump & play without ever having to adjust their stride due to a shoe that is inadequate. We like to be active and I just don't see crocs as "active" shoes...

·
Registered
323 Posts
if it was up to her Millie would wear her crocs all the time as her shoe of preference!.

This time of year they are great as they let the air round her feet and bearing in mind she'd rather wear nothing at all, they are a good compromise.

If we are going to the park or somewhere she will be running around a lot I do put her trainers on just for reasons of higher safety

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
They're a bit stiff for a new walker, IMO, but for older toddlers they're great (though at dirty playgrounds I'd recommend socks...feet can get sooo dirty). ds has spent all summer in his since he was 18mo or so (he was an early walker).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kagrish View Post
I don't see why not, except they will get stinky faster (?) - I don't own a pair of crocs myself.
I have heard different things about different "brands" of crocs. I forget the word but you know how a brand name becomes common usage, like jello or kleenex... I feel that has happened with crocs. So different knock-offs have different issues with feet stinkiness. Personally I have a pair of "traps" (total impulse buy, they are yellow and tye-dye looking and I loved them) and they don't make my feet stink. My son has worn the Payless Airwalk ones and I don't think they make his feet stink. But I have heard some of them do. So depending on what kind you are using... YMMV.

I have tried the real crocs and they felt so hard compared to the ones I have I didn't like them. (They have them at Costco, I wanted to see what I was missing!) So the brand you have might make a difference from a new-walker, foot support and growth standpoint.

I have heard of kids getting them stuck in escalators and will admit that after reading such stories - my son was maybe 2 when that happened first? - I would look at other parents whose kids had crocs and think how negligent they were... LOL

My son got his first pair when he was 3 1/2 or 4. The only problem we have with them is he loves them and they are easy to put on and will try to wear them in innappropriate situations. I have to get on him sometimes for when tennis shoes are more appropriate - like at the playground, I just think you can run and climb better with a shoe that stays on. Even a good-fitting sandal like a Teva would be better then a croc then. He wore them to football practice once (flag football) and I didn't realize it till we got there - I was mortified. Then afterwards the kids wanted to stay and play at the play structure and they were playing tag and he was it and couldn't catch anyone - and he is a GOOD runner, it was the shoes holding him up! So it made for a good lesson...

Anyway sorry not specific to toddlers in crocs but... I don't think they are ideal as the sole footwear. It's nice to have a pair of something that is good for fast in and out but for some activities you're just better off in a different shoe. I might get my girls a pair next summer just because they are so cheap but they won't be their only shoes. They Payless ones are so cheap and my son loves them - this year we hit a sale and they were for $5 each but everything was buy one get one 1/2 off so we got this years and next years for $7.50. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
For us they are strickly summer shoes. During the summer around here it's too hot to do much outside beyond going to the pool or the splash fountain and crocs are perfect for that. If we're going somewhere that ds will be running or climbing then he puts on different shoes, but if we're out running errands then crocs are fine. I wear my mary jane crocs all summer too, I've never noticed a smell. And if they did, you can just hose them off and leave them in the sun for a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
We have a pair Crocs from gander mountain for my DS. They're actually his second pair (had a smaller size pair last summer), and we love them. They have this elastic stuff in the back so that they stay on really well (vs the usual heal thing). Of course, he can take them off/put them on if he wants to. They're what he wears 90% of the time in the summer - assuming he has shoes on at all
TBH, I like to let him run around barefoot outside as much as possible, and he never, ever, ever wears shoes inside.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I should elaborate.

My 18 MO needs shoes. His feet are really wide, and the Robeez type are too tight around his ankles, but he cries and cries for shoes. (Puts on any shoe he can find; last night he was walking around in one toddler boot and one of DH's sneakers.)

Because his feet are so wide, the only traditional "shoe" he can fit into is a Stride Rite wide; the ones we found cost $50. DH feels like that is way too much for baby shoes. I feel guilty for skimping on his first shoes. Impasse. While we were at the store, we saw that the Crocs fit him just fine and he loved them. He does a lot of climbing and running, though, so I don't know if Crocs would be good enough.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our podiatrist sells crocs and then tells me that they are bad for feet. Umm...what???

But honestly they don't seem good for feet. I tossed my daughter's out as I watched how much her feet slip around, etc. They don't provide much support, either (I'm not saying hard soled shoes are good, but Crocs don't seem ideal, either).

·
Registered
899 Posts
our summer "crocs" for ds are sort of a budget descision...

$6 for a pair from walmart to get through the summer... and then this fall I wanna get a solid pair of striderites for ds (3yrsold)...

But I see a new problem. I found a nice pair old sandles lightly used at once upon a child - washed them - and I can't get ds to wear them... he always reaches for his crocs.

Sooo another problem with them is getting dc to give them up... we got too comfortable letting him wear them everywhere.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
The kind with the sling back would have bugged my ds because the back tends to slip around. But the crocling style might have been ok. The top is a snug fitting water shoe type of material. But maybe they would be too tight. There is also that new style that looks kind of like keen sandals but made out of croc material. I'm not sure if they come in toddler sizes but I might try them for ds next.

I think crocs do get a little slippery when the bottoms wear down but that might not happen before he grows out of them. There was that issue of kids getting their feet stuck in escalators when wearing crocs, too.

At 18 months, my ds still wore Robeez. One thought is you could perhaps replace the elastic in them to make the ankles less tight. I'm pretty sure I did that with a pair, once. It was just a loop of elastic.

Other brands... New Balance sneakers comes in a better selection of widths than other brands. Look online. Some online shoe stores have free shipping and free return shipping which makes ordering a no risk situation. Try www.zappos.com (can return ship via regular mail or UPS) and www.shoebuy.com (return only through UPS). Zappos never has promo codes but Shoebuy has offers so also do a google search for "Shoebuy promo codes." Some brands just run wide but are marked as regular width. I started out getting Stride Rite XXW for ds but then discovered some brands just ran wide enough. Vans and Sketchers tend to run wide, IME.

ETA, I'd base my decision on how well dc moved around while wearing crocs. I see some kids not slowed down at all but I don't think my ds would have been ok with them at 18 months. Last year, I got him (he's much older, btw) cheap croc-like shoes from Rite Aid. I'm not convinced they are any different than crocs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts