Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've known since ds was 3 that he has a cross-bite. At that time the pediatric dentist wanted to start orthodontic intervention. We didn't. We've decided to wait until he had all of his molars. He has them all and we have a dentist appt. next month.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm very nervous.
Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
My oldest had a very obvious cross bite--she had a little Popeye smile. Her baby teeth were pretty chipped up from the bad jaw alignment. We took her in to see an orthodontist at age 6. The orthodontist scared me in the initial consultation with all of the possible things my dd might need--an expander, years of braces and headgear. She had the expander first (fits accross the roof of the mouth, a small key is inserted and turned once a day). My dd said it felt a little "funny," but didn't hurt. Once her top jaw was expanded enough to allow proper alignment (maybe six months? I can't remember), she needed braces on her four front teeth to close the gap that had been created (for about a year), but that was it. The cross bite was almost completely corrected by the expander. She's 13 now and hasn't needed any other orthodontics.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your response. It helps to hear of others' experience.

The dr. always gives worst case scenario which can be pretty scary.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't worry!
I had the expander as I child and it was no big deal for me and was all the work I needed. I wore it for a couple of years, I think, when I was around 8. I haven't had any trouble with cross-bite as an adult.

One think to keep an eye on, though it could have just been completely a coincidence. I have scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and due to this just about everything in my body is a little asymetrical. I've always wondered if the cross-bite was an early manifestation of this. Not to worry you- but early detection (in early puberty) and working with a rolfer, physical therapist or other body worker can help minimize the effects of scoliosis.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
i had cross bite/overbite/open bite my parents let it go as my teeth were straight and looked cosmetically good... you can read my long post in the other poston headgear.

trust me treating it now is far less traumatic than as an adult when there is no room to move the jaw except with surgeries, power saws, screws......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.