Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost sure my 20 month old has croup. Any suggestions on how to make him feel better until I can schedule an appt. with ped.?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Bring him into the bathroom with the windows/doors closed. Run a hot shower so the bathroom gets all steamy and let him be in there for a little while. Also, there's no reason to bring him into the doctor for croup unless you're worried that he's not drinking from not feeling well and could get dehydratred. And I don't mean to tell you what to do or sound snotty!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ditto on the pp. Hot shower is the best, easiest thing to try. If you are still nursing, that can help as well, or if not, as long as you can get him to drink some water, he will be okay. I also agree, there is no reason to bring him to the ped. However, if at any time he seems to be having difficulty breathing, and nothing helps, obviously get emergency medical attention.<br>
My ds had croup often when he was an infant - usually the hot shower worked to open his airway, and nursing relaxed him back to sleep. He was usually fine during the day, and would get that horrible cough at night. It would only last a couple of days. It can be scary listening to them cough like that! Then, on vacation at Disney(!), he got really bad - nothing would help and he was struggling to breath. I was panicking - we brought him down to the front desk and they called the EMTs, who then rushed us to the ER in the ambulance, while giving him breathing treatments on the way. He ended up needing steriods to open his airway, and we had to stay inside the whole next day!!!<br>
I hope your son feels better!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
My daughter had croup a few times and they told me not to lay her down...I remember sleeping all night with her upright in my arms. If it's cold outside, you can also go outside, but the shower works well. They do outgrow the really scary kind where they find it hard to breathe...hang in there!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Dr. Sears has great info on croup:<br><br><a href="http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t084200.asp" target="_blank">http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t084200.asp</a><br><br>
My 8 yo still gets it at least once a year but only at night. We do the hot shower and then I take him outside in the cooler night air. That really seems to help. I've never taken him to the doctor about it because he's usually almost completely better the next day.<br><br>
It can be scary...I hope your little boy feels better soon!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts