Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, and/or experiences you can give to me.

My 5 year old has a bad bad cavity. I have known it was there for about a year and have been trying to heal it naturally. However, it hasn't worked and is bothering him now. We went to my biological dentist who said my son (who is 5 and doesn't like the dentist AT ALL) really needs to be seen by a pediatric dentist.

We went today. Just as I thought, it is bad. It needs a crown (I asked DDS re: pulling and putting a spacer in, but after discussion I don't think that is the best option). So, he really needs a crown. My choices are a stainless-steel crown (which I won't do because it has nickel) and a ceramic crown.

Have any of you had experiences with your little ones receiving a ceramic crown? The tooth it is going on most likely won't fall out for 5-7 years. I am sooooo nervous.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
HI,
No experience with a ceramic but my daughter got a stainless steel one when she was 5. We went to a local dental clinic, she was sedated briefly, it was put in place and we went on our way. She is/was a total screaming dramatist about anything medical but this was fast and fine. She was quite proud of her pretty new "silver tooth" at the time. It did seem to give her a little more trouble than usual falling out. It was loose for a long time before the next tooth pushed it out. She never had any further dental trouble or cavaties it was just that one tooth.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts