Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to report what I consider to be cruety at a local zoo-- ironically it is not a bad zoo overall but they have a couple indoor exhibits that I feel are inhumane and have been bothering me since I first saw them.

Two leopards are kept together in an indoor, lightless room/ cage that is smaller than my bedroom. I'm guessing the cage is maybe 20 ft x 20 ft. They are always pacing back and forth, glassy-eyed (I assume they drug them to sedate them).

Where would I report this?

Thanks---

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
You could write to the Humane Associations, assuming you are in the USA, and see if they can help. But, also keep in mind that perhaps the zoo needs more money to create a better space for the animals. I would first write to the zoo administration and see if they have a plan for the immediate future that involves improving the exhibit. Depending on what they say, then you could contact the humane society and humane association. Or, organize a fundraiser to create a better space, but of course that is a long term solution when the cats need a more immediate one.

http://www.hsus.org/

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
How long have they been like that? Did you speak to any of the zoo keepers to find out if there is a reason these 2 cats are in there? Is this actually an exhibit?? It seems odd that they'd have leopards in an indoor lightless room and call that an exhibit. Is there a chance that what you saw was a sick room or a breeding room?

I'd contact the zoo first, there may well be a very good reason for what you saw that has NOTHING at all to do with cruelty. Just so you know, cats become immune to sedation quickly so it's highly unlikely that they are keeping the cats sedated.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Is this zoo in the US and is it a member of the AZA? If it is a member of the AZA they do have to adhere to guidelines regarding care and housing, most zoos wont risk loosing that accreditation. I wonder if what you saw were nocturnal species and they kept them in a "darkened room" because of this. If it was dark their pupils were probaly dialated givng them a glassy eyed look. Also keep in mind that many exhibits are much larger than they appear. I used to volunteer at a small zoo and what the public can see is often only a small area of the animals actual enclosure. Like Shannon said contact the zoo first... This is not directed towards you, but after volunteering at a zoo and being married to someone that worked at one, the general public often assumes some pretty bizarre things regarding the animals and their care. You know what they say about assuming

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.