Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight as to why my diapers are crunchy? I purchased these diapers as a part of a lot so I have no idea what they are called or what they are made of. They are small fitted diapers made from terrycloth, I THINK. They don't stink at all and absorb just fine. I'm using Charlies Soap on them.

TIA!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Don't know. But my prefolds got really hard for a while and I use charlie's too. I switched to a warm wash and medium dry and added vinegar to my rinse and use dryer balls in the dryer. It seems to have helped. I wash all my clothes with Charlie's and it hasn't seemed to make a difference in softness in them, so it must be my wash cycle.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have hard water and with my terry dipes I found that if I hung them to dry they were always crunchy, so I always put them in the dryer. I also found that putting them in the dryer with a dry towel fluffs them up nicely, too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most likely. Try adding an oxy booster (sodium percarbonate is what you're looking for) or borax (sodium perborate) to the wash. Both of those release water softeners when exposed to water. They also have nice side effects like disinfecting, too.

But of course, read the care instructions on your diapers before adding anything.

·
Registered
885 Posts
When my diapers get crunchy like that (and if they have no PUL, fleece, seudecloth, etc) I use a little fabric softener on them.
: I only have prefolds and terry fitteds. I haven't had any problems with repelling or less absorbency.

Just wanted to add that I use Dawn to wash dipes with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.