Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a ton of the ubiquitous Gerber diapers from a yard sale by a well-meaning mother of mine.
Since I don't have the original package, I *think* they are the gauze kind. They have a pretty open weave and I think there's one birdseye in there that I can tell is definitely different.

The problem is - these are so stiff and crunchy, and I really don't know what to do with them. They were given with the intent of them being used as burp rags, but they don't absorb a thing. Now that we're switching to CD I feel like I should be able to use them for something - stuffing in pockets or is that crazy?

The problem is the crunchiness. I have washed and dried them 5 times so far, and literally no improvement. Even if I fold it up into like 8 layers it still doesn't hold any liquid.

Am I missing something here?
: I know nothing about these things. Someone please enlighten me - what am I supposed to do with these to make them actually usable as DIAPERS (I don't need non-absorbant burp cloths either, that's for sure)?

Help!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have some of those and I use them for unpapertowels.

Try a hot HOT wash with lots of vinegar and no detergent... the texture of the gauze fabric will probably always leave something to be desired but they should be more absorbent than you describe

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I guess they're birdseye flats. I use those for cleaning rags. They are also good for unpaper towels like someone said. Really though, as your baby gets into the toddler years (sorry, don't know if you have other children) you will need alot of cleaning rags. Just throw them under the bathroom sink and use them for bathroom cleaning rags for now. Or if you have a swiffer perhaps you could fold them into the right shape to fit in that so you can mop the floor with them. Just throwing out some ideas here....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by averymybaby
These don't have any seams or a thicker middle - they are just one piece of gauze... ?? Like I said I'm clueless.

Are they super-thin like cheesecloth?? If so they sound like flatfolds. I have a package of them and I don't like them very much either, and I am a big fan of the simplest way to go (i.e. prefolds). I have other flatfolds that I like much better - I bought them in JC Penney.

When I do use them, I will generally take one of them and fold it in half (to about prefold size) then take another one and fold it up a bunch of times so its the size of a doubler or so and put it down the middle. Then I just fold it like a prefold (newspaper fold). They're really good for trips because you don't have to wait very long for them to dry.

I'm not really sure why they are crunchy though
? Mine are pretty soft. Did you try using a vinegar rinse? That usually tends to soften things up.

HTH

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will def. have to try a vinegar rinse.

If that doesn't work, I am leaning towards the swiffer suggestion.

I do wonder why they aren't getting softer with subsequent HOT washes, though - do I have hard/soft water or something? They really should absorb something, but even dd's spitup rolls right off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Boil them??

Then tie dye them for the cutest burp rags on the block! I actually like the flimsy gauze for a newborn--I have about 5 that I "inherited" and they have been through all my guys. My kids are only newborn for a few days though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.