Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to Michigan - recent transplant from california. Looking for more my style, AP friendly, crunchy moms in this area... anyone? Please tell me SOMEone here has heard of and doesn't make fun of EC or slings or AP or SOMEthing! Feeling kinda lonely here in my new rural town area. Help!
- Jen

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Hey Mama.
I'm also a newbie in Michigan from California. Although I have lived here before. I'm living just south of Kalamazoo but have family near your area and go there often. I just joined Natural Families of Kalamazoo. If you don't mind a drive they have playgroups, organic garden group, homeschooling group, plus LOTS of other resources and get togethers. Check em out.
http://www.naturalfamiliesofkalamazoo.org And since I'm in that area frequently I'd definitely be down for a get together/playgroup day sometime. I'm guessing you have dc, right?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
EcoMama7 is right, you should come join us
I have a sister in your area, but she is not too crunchy...O.k. that is not fair. She is on the journey in some areas (breastfeed all of her kids, does her best to eat healthy, takes her children seriuosly, is seriously considering homeschooling, has slung my baby around) but not so interested in other areas (organic, no "too expensive"; cloth diapers, no "too much work", etc.). Her kids are older now too, so she is out of the baby phase (oldest is 15; youngest is 5). She finds herself isolated too...she would rather live in Kalamazoo for the cultural opportunities, but she loves her funky house.

You could also look the other direction toward Albion and Jackson. I have seen some Jackson area mamas post, so that might be an option. But BC is kind of a wasteland, and while Marshall is really cute, I don't know of any resources there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am also a recent transplant from California, but am only temporarily in Coldwater. We recently bought a house and are moving to Angola, IN in a few weeks. I haven't found many resources in the area. There was a group of AP moms who met once a month down in the Coldwater/Hillsdale area that I met up with once before buying our house and deciding I didn't want to drive up here for others, but would look closer to me. If you want I can send you info about them, just let me know. They told me to try local farms for organic produce. You are about an hour from Ann Arbor, I believe and there is an AWESOME Whole Foods (i've never seen one so big) there and a trader joe's about a block from that. I even plan on driving up there once a month or so just to have some great organic produce.

Karlene

1 - 5 of 5 Posts