Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not the students, me the teacher.

I have been teaching for 5 years and have done countless firedrills, but today just really choked me up. Wen we got out of the building I did a head count and I realized I was missing 2 of my students (6th grade) It was only a matter of about 10 seconds before I knew who they were and where they should have been (collecting canned foods for the food drive), 10 -15 seconds after that I had confirmation that they were indeed with the assistant principal.

I just felt so helpless (and I knew it was just a drill, there were firemen standing in the halls watching us) It really hit me that everyday I am totally responsible for the well being of 23 other lives and have parents trusting me with their children.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I was thinking similar thoughts when asked to drive for a fieldtrip at ds's pre-k. Evidently, kids can't ride a bus here unless they are 4, so I was being asked to drive my ds and a 3yo. I wouldn't want my ds riding with someone else's parent of unknown driving skills, and I don't want to be responsible for their child, even though I'm a good driver. It's scary.

·
Registered
50 Posts
AWW ~ I may be overly emotional today but reading your post brought tears to my eyes! I'm so impressed with your dedication to your students and I wish you were my kids' teacher! You obviously take the responsibility very seriously. What a scary job you have . . . I have so much respect for teachers (well, the ones that take the job seriously anyway!!).

On a side note, does your school do lock down drills, too? I was caught off guard when my kids had their first one a couple of weeks ago. It made me feel so bad knowing that the kids were all told to hide in the corner during the drill. I know it's best to be prepared but what a crazy world we're living in where this type of drill is necessary!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have not had one yet, but last year this school (I was at a different school in the district) actually had a gunman enter the school and they had a real lockdown. No shots were fired and he didn't enter the school with a purpose, he was drunk, didn't even have kids or anything. I teach in a large inner city district so sadly it is a part of their lives.

I get very very attached to my kids as so many of them come from rough home lives. I try to make 9:00-3:30 a safe happy environment each day since I know that for many of them 3:30-9:00 is scary.

Last night the Target clerk though I was crazy. Our school district has gone to uniforms and Target had Kahki uniform pnats marked down to $3.50, I bough 10 pair to give to some of my kids. I was so excited, they had some girl's size 18's and 18 1/2 girl's plus sizes. When people donate clothes to school they always seem to think that since our oldest kids are 6th grade they must not go above a size 12.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.