Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if you mamas have any suggestions -

A couple months ago my DD (who is now 7 months) had a couple of times when she was crying really hard and then couldn't breathe. Of course it scared the h*ll out of us and my husband rushed her to the emergency room once, but there was nothing visibly wrong with her. We were told one of the possibilities was reflux.

I think she might have a little bit of reflux, but it hasn't affected her much except for those couple of events. Like no pain, no trouble nursing, and she has grown tremendously well. And it's getting better now that she's eating some solids.

But twice last week she cried really hard in the car seat - like SUPER hysterical crying that I rarely see her do - and we couldn't comfort her even when we pulled over. So she cried both times until she projectile vomited. The first time it was all milk that came up but the second time it was food and milk and kinda mucousy.

So I think maybe when she couldn't breathe those times a couple months ago, it was because she was vomiting and choking on the vomit?? I don't know.

In any case it scares me because what am I supposed to do if she cries until she vomits and then chokes???? What do you think I should do? Of course I try my best not to let the crying get to that point but, as my mom suggested, it may be partly that her tummy hurts that she cries so hard in the first place.

Do you think that treatment for reflux would help this kind of thing? Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It is sooooo scary when they do that! DS has done it a couple of times...moreso when he was smaller. We found that holding him tightly, snuggling, and/or diverting his attention to something really helped. Like we would point to something and say, "Look at that! Isn't it... pretty, funny, interesting, etc." Maybe you could ask your little one's ped. about the reflux...they could check and see if that is for certain what's causing her cryign episodes. Best wishes to you, mama!! HUGS!

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
No suggestions here, but wanted you to know you aren't alone. My 9 week old gets hystarical in the car, if she's crying for more than 5 minutes I have to pull over and calm her down, which we all know, once they go back in the carseat it's a 90% chance that they'll start up again. But if longer than 5 minutes she starts gagging. It's scary, and my son never did it, so this is my first experience with it. Poor baby LOVES to be out in new places, but hates the car!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.