Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I started having contractions at about 6:30. They were about 5 minutes apart, by 10 they were probably around 3 minutes apart and we went tot he hospital. I was 100% effaced and just 1 cm dilated...and totally discouraged because I felt like the ctx were really intense. Turns out it's because I'm having back labor. I didn't realize it's not like this for everyone. We went home at 3am to labor and they gave me visterol to help me relax and sleep over night. I was able to sleep but woke up quite often with lots of ctx that were mostly in the back, with my moaning and franticly getting dh to apply counter pressure.

Now things have slowed down a bit. I was able to take a couple 30 min. naps, a shower, a bath....but now, here I sit an it's almost been 24hrs since it all started. Ctx are maybe 15 minutes apart. (I got tired of keeping track) I just feel like this is crazy and I don't know what to do. Oh, I did start losing my mucus plug about 10:30am, so that's something.

I guess i'm just looking for some tips/advice. I never expected things to drag on like this. I am SO tired. I did read online that back labor can make things slower. My CNM says I should just rest, since I'll probably have the baby within the next day or so. (What!? I was hoping for hours) I'm wondering if I should be doing something to speed things up...CNM didn't seem to think so...now I'm all confused.

· Registered
14,304 Posts
I would be doing positions to encourage the baby to turn the right way.
for a birth soon.

· Registered
589 Posts
I have not had back labor before...I recently read a book called Back Labor No More. In the book they recommend doing a belly lift during ctx to get the baby in better alignment and off your tailbone. Although they also recommend doing this when you are at the place you will be giving birth bc when it works, it works. Also, crawling around on all fours, inversions could work. Hope you get to meet your babe soon!

· Registered
2,743 Posts
Jumping in from new posts, sorry for crashing!

I would reccomend the belly lifts as well, just a gentle lift up and in during a cx. You can have your partner stand behind you and do it for you if you want. I'd alternate that with hands and knees. If you have enough energy, I'd do some stairs, 2 at a time, it can help move the baby into a better position but I'd it after the other things.

Can your mw do saline water injections? Ask if she has any experience with that or can find someone who does, I've hear it can be really helpful with back labor.

Also, rest when/if you can, be it in bed, bathtub, laying on a ball, etc.

Best wishes for a speedy, peaceful, gentle birth!

· Registered
479 Posts
I've had two back labours now, and totally agree with the PPs about what to do - so I'm just stopping in to give you a
and to say - YOU CAN DO IT!! sooner rather than later you WILL meet your baby, and every contraction is bringing you closer to that time.

Good luck mama

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...and I had my baby 1 week ago! Eli James was born Sunday the 21st, after 36 hours of labor (2 hrs pushing & back labor the whole time). He was 8 lbs 6 oz and 22 inches long. Needless to say, I have been totally spent! It was the most difficult thing I've done in my life and I'm just impressed that my body was able to hang in there. Women are amazing. I had no medications at all (except my 2 antibiotic doses for GBS) and ended up with a medium tear. (& stitches)

Baby is wonderfully healthy....a good eater, pooper, pee-er, sleeper, etc. Our hospital stay was impressively pleasant and we had to stay for 3 days. The staff there was fabulous and really helped me out with breastfeeding. They even send a lactation consultant to your house a couple days after you get home. (maybe that's normal?)

I haven't written out my birth story yet, but when I do, I'll post it. Thanks for thinking of me.

Here we are at 1 day (24hrs) old

· Registered
4,890 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Hooray!!! (but I couldn't get your pic to load!)

Enjoy your babymoon!!

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
I fixed the link.
Thanks! I wanted to see your smiling face (and that of your beautiful babe too!)!!!! You look radiant!! Congratulations again!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.