Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We could hold two conversation here.

1. Do you think it is culturally acceptable to discriminate against those who are very sel/del and those who are non-vax?

2. Can you think of any other current group that it is culturally acceptable to discriminate against?

·
Registered
18,838 Posts
I think it is still culturally acceptable to mock and discriminate against the obese.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The intellectually disabled. And beyond obesity, anyone who's unattractive. Also women. Still. Sigh.
ETA: I don't think that being a woman is as bad as being not vax-compliant with your kids, but being both really screws you over.

On the ideological front, fundamentalism of any streak entails a self-justified discrimination. Once a group is dubbed "dangerous," (gay, Communist, Muslim, immigrants, not fully vaxxed, etc.), actions like hate speech and laws to subjugate and humiliate them become A-OK in the mind of a bigot.

·
Registered
18,838 Posts
The intellectually disabled. And beyond obesity, anyone who's unattractive. Also women. Still. Sigh.
ETA: I don't think that being a woman is as bad as being not vax-compliant with your kids, but being both really screws you over.

On the ideological front, fundamentalism of any streak entails a self-justified discrimination. Once a group is dubbed "dangerous," (gay, Communist, Muslim, immigrants, not fully vaxxed, etc.), actions like hate speech and laws to subjugate and humiliate them become A-OK in the mind of a bigot.
One of the reasons that political correctness is so tricky is that the rules are always shifting. And the people who manage the rules get to decide who is incorrect at any moment.

Reactions: Mirzam

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
White males...
Any males. If you look at the number of commercials where men are portrayed as stupid, inferior, dorky, inept, whatever, it's astounding. If you took the same script and put a woman in, "It's okay you can't figure it out honey, you're a woman after all!" the emails would be flooding in.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think we almost need a discussion on the different types of discrimination and their impact. Overt versus covert. Systemic or versus not systemic. Institutionalised versus not institutionalised.

People can be a$$holes. I know individual people can hold petty, prejudicial POV. I like to think governments and people in positions of authority can rise above and make reasonable rules from a place of tolerance. I am saddened when reality is thrown back in my face.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
18,838 Posts
bookworms, nerds, intellectuals, oddballs, misfits, eccentrics, the homeless/street people, people on welfare, working poor people (especially if they have certain types of jobs--factory work, data entry, waiting table in low-class eateries, washing dishes although some of these jobs are okay if you are a student), sports fans, sports haters (I'm one), klutzy people, alcoholics, drug addicts, baby shakers...

One of the interesting experiences in my life has been the degrading of support staff in offices. As soon as a few women began to get professional positions, any woman who was still "a secretary" began to be seen as a failure and to reflect badly on women in general. Almost as bad as being a stay at home mom. It is interesting that teachers haven't had the same problem, even though that used to be a female career path, ditto librarians.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts