Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a single mother of 4, who is also a full-time student and a part-time paralegal....My question is this: Does anyone know a dietary treatment/cure for exhaustion? (I realize that more sleep would help
...I just wonder if there is a way to fix the problem dietarily)

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's very impressive that you do so much and are looking after four children. I have two kids and nothing else to do and I still get tired.

I think you'll get a lot of good advice but what I find helpful is to look after my iron intake (sometimes I take a supplement), get plenty of Omega 3 fats (I take cod liver oil capsules and I give cod liver oil and orange syrup to my children), and coconut. I eat fresh coconut as a snack and we all like coconut popsicles- a can of coconut milk and three tablespoons of white sugar (oh no!) frozen in a popsicle maker tray.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I agree on the omega-3 fatty acids - also a good protein breakfast as well as a protein snack in the afternoon can really help energy levels.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When I try to up my energy I cut back on processed carbs, eat lots of fruit, drink lots of water, and avoid artificial energy boosters like caffeine and sugar. I wouldn't recommend taking iron supplements because they can be very dangerous for certain people.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catarina

How are iron supplements harmful to some people? I'd like to know.

The most common genetic disorder, is hemochromatosis, but most people don't know about it and most people with it don't know they have it. People with this disorder store excessive amounts of iron in their liver and other organs and taking iron supplements can be extremely dangerous for them. It's most common in people of Northern European decent, I'm Irish and it killed alot of people in my family. Here's some info on it...

http://www.americanhs.org/Irish%20in%20the%20blood.htm

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In her last post, cathe said that "...a protein snack in the afternoon can really help energy levels." This sounds like good advice...can anyone reccommend a portable, non-messy, high protein snack that I can eat at my desk at work?

BTW, thanks to all of you for your input. I have tried the protein breakfast idea, and the cutting down on processed carbs (I reduced my caffiene intake to 0 years ago...it did help!). All of the ideas seem to be helping. (Now I'm just plain old tired, whereas before I was exhausted...baby steps, right?) I ordered some Omega-3 (with iron) capsules from my health food store, and am hoping they will also help.

Best of everything in 2005!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Tired or sleepy?

If it's sleepy, go to sleepnet.org (.com?) and take their test regarding sleep apnea and other sleep disorder issues.

If it's tired, is there any way to cut back on unnecessary activities? having quiet downtime with no requirements to be anywhere or do anything in particular is important. Too many families now-a-days don't get any of that. If this does not apply to you, please disregard.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
My son's preschool sent out a newsletter discouraging us from eating sugary foods after 3 pm. It implied that the sweets would not only leave you tired the next day, but also craving more the next day thus repeating the cycle would leave you feeling worn out all of the time. This worked with info I got from our travel doctor, who gave us a diet for dealing with jet-lag. If I remember correct, we ate complex carbs in the morning with fresh friut and veggies, and in the evening, we ate more proteins with fresh veggies. Also, drink as much water as possible, at least 1 quart per 60# of body weight.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Snack ideas:
hardboiled egg
yogurt or cottage cheese
trail mix
sandwich (turkey, cheese, pb&J)
cheese and apple
hummus and carrot sticks or pita
bean salad
peanut butter or cheese and crackers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.