Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still thinking of switching DCP's. Now, DS is only about 4 months old so he's a loooong way off from going to preschool, kindergarten, etc. But I'm wondering what people do when the kids go to school?

For example, say I have to drop off DC at 7am. DC is in kindergarden which doesn't start until 8. Does the daycare provider walk/drive DC to school and back again? What if DCP is too far from school to walk them there and there are no buses that run by DCP house/center?

Here's the deal, if I switch DCP, I did a search for licensed ones in my area and there are a couple fairly close by, however in a different city (we are near the border). So if I went to a DCP farther away, how would my kid get to school (no buses, etc)?

I hope that makes sense! thanks!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
In the centers where I have worked these are the situations that occurred:

1)the center had it's own transportation (usually a large bus) with a licensed driver who took kids to and from school- I actually did this at one center.

2)the center did not offer before school care, so parents had to make arrangements

3)the school bus picked children up from the center- like the situation at the center I work at now. Kailey gets picked up at the center at 7 a.m.

In our county buses will not transfer students if they live out of the school district. We were reassigned to a school out of our district and it was our responsibility to provide transportation for Kailey, but my work is in the school dsitrict so she can be picked up at the center (and dropped off after school). Just as the school Kailey would have gone to would not have tramsported her to my work, because it is not in that school district.

So, if you switched to a center that was not in your school district I would not think that center (although I could be wrong) would transport your child. Although, now that I think about it I don't see why they wouldn't as long as they would also pick them up.

The best bet is to call the center you are interested in and ask if they provide transportation and if they will provide it to your DC's school.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It seems like a lot of folks switch to centers that specialize in before/ after school care when they get to that age. Another option would be to find a home daycare center in your neighborhood where the dcp also has a kid in the same school.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Our former dcp did before- and after- school care for kids in two different districts. Those two districts also provide their own before and after school care.

But I certainly wouldn't choose a center for my 4 month old based on that! You might want to pay attention to that kind of thing in the next few years, but you might want to count on changing at kindergarten.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think I know what you are saying and we are in a similar situation. Our center is literally on the border between our town and the next. 5 feet from the border. If we lived one town north then the bus would pick up and drop off there. But, since we don't, the center has a van service which will take kids to and from school. For the bargain price of $8.50 - each way!

We are trying to work out an arrangement with the neighbors that would allow us to get the kids on the bus from home each day and then we would only have to pay the service from school to the center.

Check with the local centers if they have a similar arrangement. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Around here mnost people pick a center that either provides a bussing service or a home daycare that is in walking distance of the school and provides supervised walks to and from school (we have open enrollment here so you child can almost certainly find a school near thier daycare privder.) or someone willing to pick up and drop off.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
most schools have before/after care on campus... that elminates the problem for most people around here...

i agree w. most ppl... 4 mos is too early to be worrying about school aged care...

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I remember thinking ahead to things like this when Kailey was an infant, not so much because I was worried about it, but because I like to get things in order and being close to a school or daycare that will meet the needs of my family might include moving. Something I would have liked to do because Kailey was old enough to befriend neighbors and then ahve to leave them. So I don't think it's so far out there to think of these things. I also thought ahead to whether I would be a SAHM or WOHM before Kailey was born and what type of diapers, clothing, toys I would purchase. Just a thought

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.