Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after ignoring the fact that my fridge has smelled a little on the chemically side for several weeks now, I noticed today that it was very strong and leaking a clear liquid inside and underneath. Before I noticed however, I drank a glass of water out of a purifying pitcher in the fridge. The water tasted weird. It tasted like there was chlorine or something in it. I googled the fridge issue and realized it could be a freon leak. I'm panicking now because I realize something leaked into that pitcher and I have no idea what it was but I know it can't be anything good. I'm so worried that I may have been inhaling a refrigerant for weeks and now have ingested it. I must sound like such a freaking idiot right now but I really don't know what to do, I'm afraid I hurt the baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
So after ignoring the fact that my fridge has smelled a little on the chemically side for several weeks now, I noticed today that it was very strong and leaking a clear liquid inside and underneath. Before I noticed however, I drank a glass of water out of a purifying pitcher in the fridge. The water tasted weird. It tasted like there was chlorine or something in it. I googled the fridge issue and realized it could be a freon leak. I'm panicking now because I realize something leaked into that pitcher and I have no idea what it was but I know it can't be anything good. I'm so worried that I may have been inhaling a refrigerant for weeks and now have ingested it. I must sound like such a freaking idiot right now but I really don't know what to do, I'm afraid I hurt the baby.
Not much you can do. Drink a lot/eat a lot to absorb anything that did go into your body. Try to push it out fast as you can. Ensure anything left is very well covered and shop small with mindset that fridge is really going soon. I would put a theremometer inside to monitor the temp to get idea of how it is. If you have pets gate off the area or stick towels nearby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Don't worry, our babies are very resilient, and our bodies do a LOT to protect them. Still, I would contact your doctor/midwife. If there is something to do, they might know, and if not they will be able to provide some reassurance or oversight. Hang in there. :Hug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
I understand the panic, but I would think that if it's gas that it's not as bad as actual Freon liquid dripping into the water. Plus, those water pitchers end up tasting like chlorine once they lose their ability to filter, usually because there is chlorine in the tap water that didn't get filtered out. Not sure if Freon has a taste. How long have you had the pitcher, and do you have one of those measuring things like that comes with the Zero Water pitcher?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
I don't know much (anything) about refrigerators, but I would be really surprised if it were possible for a chemical refrigerant to leak inside the fridge like that in a way that it could contaminate food/water. It seems like there would be some kind of fail-safe to prevent that from happening, since freon leaks do occur, you know?

And I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure freon tastes sweet, which is why it's so hazardous to have around the house. I might be thinking of something else.

I'd also guess that the chlorine taste was just that. Those pitcher type filters don't last very long.

I'd of course call a repair guy to see if there's an issue with the fridge, and call your midwife/doctor to check in, and if you're REALLY worried you can take some activated charcoal and/or clay capsules which absorb toxins.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Oh wait, I was thinking of antifreeze that tastes sweet, not freon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pitcher is older and I was thinking it's probably that. I think it's just not filtering anymore. The maintenance crew didn't make it over today so I'll find out the issue tomorrow. I drank a few glasses of boiled tap water and I feel a lot better so I'm thinking I'm okay.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Valerie11

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
That is so stressful! ((HUGS!)) I am glad you are feeling better. I second the notion of activated charcoal or calcium bentonite clay. Couldn't hurt and may help. If you do decide to take one of those things, don't take it around the same time as other supplements or eating (I always take it when I wake up to pee in the middle of the night). And, take with lots of water and up your water intake throughout the day while taking it. :)

But really, it prob is just time to change the filter. :)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top